Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why do my ewes bleat continuously?  (Read 22458 times)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Re: Why do my ewes bleat continuously?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 01:02:17 pm »
The vet check is simply a precaution born out of a very limited knowledge of sheep - haven't done badly so far, raised five lambs from 2 ewes from our own Shropshire ram, but lost twin lambs to 'twin lamb disease last year so feel that some expert advice wouldn't go amiss now that we have more to contend with - We have the option of growing on for sale through our farm shop or maybe breeding from some/all of them, but I would like some advice before making a final decision - in any case I need to be sure that we are giving them the best care and attention we can.

50 sheep - rather you than me!

thanks, Farmer

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 08:46:55 pm »
Ours bleat all the time when they know we're around. If you sneak up, they're grazing happily. As soon as the see us, or hear the car!, they start calling. Spoiled, is the problem, I think. Boy, do they love Polo mints!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 03:54:03 pm »
Ours bleat all the time when they know we're around. If you sneak up, they're grazing happily. As soon as the see us, or hear the car!, they start calling. Spoiled, is the problem, I think. Boy, do they love Polo mints!

polo mints I haven't tried but mine adore dried apricots  ::) yes i know they are spoilt; as they had no apricots in the other day and the sheep were missing their little treat I got them dried strawberries (a bit like fruit pastilles really and very yummy!)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:15 pm »
Mine are noisy, they like being fed non hay food stuffs. They do shut up if I pick up the broom and sweep the yard as they understand I am not going to offer them food right then. They are always noisier when they have lambs at foot.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for all the responses, I've concluded that the problem is ME...they have everything they need and the bleating is just a try on to get ME to give them more food - when my wife goes near them they don't react quite as bad - but when they spot ME anywhere near the feed store all hell breaks loose - I've decided to try wearing a disguise during the day (dark glasses, hood, etc;) if that doesn't work I'll invest in some ear plugs!

Regards, Farmer

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 01:03:45 am »
Hey Farmer
You are not alone - I look a lot like a feed bucket, but apparently the same cannot be said of either my husband, my mother or my father, as none of them elicits quite the same response from any of our animals that I do?!?!??!?
Do you  not have too much grass at the moment to be still feeding them????
Catherine.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 09:43:38 am »
Hi Catherine,
The grass is good, but I always 'wean' them off their supplement feed by reducing the volume over about a week; this also gives me an opportunity to observe them up close for a few days when they have just gone on fresh ground or have been mixed with others - if their all doing fine and growing well I stop their feed altogether.

Hope the weather where you are is as nice as here at present - makes the job far easier and twice as enjoyable when the rain isn't trickling down your neck!

Regards, Farmer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS