Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat breed mix  (Read 5345 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
goat breed mix
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »
just quick question.....would it be ok to mix british alpine nanny with golden guernsey kids? also have 1 female saanen kid, and one male due for the chop.....is it possible to mix without bulliying???

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: goat breed mix
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »
Totally depends on the personality and not the breed - our goats couldn't be more different - and it depends if there is food on the go .... play it by ear me thinks. :hug: :huff:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »
If you only have one adult, and the rest are kids they get the message as to who is boss quite quickly... and are also quick to jump out of the way. I would still supervise them for a while outside in the field, and maybe pen them separately until the kids are a bit older, but all still in sight of each other.
A bit more attention is needed if you mix adults, especially new goats with the resident ones. I have done this in the past by a) new goat in separate pen and b) taking her out on a lead with only a few of the others out at any one time until I was sure she would be able to hold her own.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »
Ours run in adjacent paddocks separated by post and rail with electric fencing. THey are well used to one another now so when they do mix they get on pretty well. Only issues are if food is around the 2 adult girls will bicker.
We also have 2 sheds so whoever is bottom of the pecking order isn't bullied out in the rain, not always practical to have 2 sheds but alternate shelter helps.
They are very colour prejudiced though, the 3 toggs hang out together and exclude the saanen, I read somewhere that this is quite common in goats.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:12 pm »
Yes, I was told this by someone who breeds BAs but also has a tog cross.  The tog was bullied quite a lot.  My friend bought a young BA and had her live with my Sanaans.  They used to gang up on her and wouldn't let her in the shed even when it was pouring with rain.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »
I have noticed that although the Nubians will tolerate the pygmy goats and the Alpine female in the same paddock, they have nothing to do with them.  Will not share the big hay rack, the little uns have to be fed separate.  When the latest three female Nubians arrived a few months back, they were welcomed with open arms - no bullying, invited to share the hay rack etc. Maybe they recognise their own kind - but with ears that long, its not too hard ;)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:52 pm »
When I introduced our third goat, a bulky British Sannen to two smaller and more agile Saanens she did get bullied for a while and wasn't always fast enough to move out of the way when the others wanted her away.
I corrected this behaviour very quickly though once I used a remotely activated vibrating dog collar. The collar has a shock setting as well, which I only used in the first couple of instances to get them take heed of the vibration setting.  The collar is illegal in Wales though.. to me it is no different to keeping goats safe with an electric fence.
After the others kidded though, she is higher up the pecking order than the Sannen who had her kids raised by the 14 year old herd queen.

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:05:56 am »
just quick question.....would it be ok to mix british alpine nanny with golden guernsey kids? also have 1 female saanen kid, and one male due for the chop.....is it possible to mix without bulliying???

are any of the goats horned ?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:32:57 am »
When I introduced our third goat, a bulky British Sannen to two smaller and more agile Saanens she did get bullied for a while and wasn't always fast enough to move out of the way when the others wanted her away.
I corrected this behaviour very quickly though once I used a remotely activated vibrating dog collar. The collar has a shock setting as well, which I only used in the first couple of instances to get them take heed of the vibration setting.  The collar is illegal in Wales though.. to me it is no different to keeping goats safe with an electric fence.
After the others kidded though, she is higher up the pecking order than the Sannen who had her kids raised by the 14 year old herd queen.

I have seen dogs with horrific burns caused by those shock collars , they should be outlawed all over GB, and the owners made to wear them -see if they like it , cruel bastards. :rant: There is no need to treat a goat in this sadistic manner .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:39:34 am by tizaala »

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:19:13 am »

I have seen dogs with horrific burns caused by those shock collars , they should be outlawed all over GB, and the owners made to wear them -see if they like it , cruel bastards. :rant: There is no need to treat a goat in this sadistic manner .

i see your poit of view, but if youre a sensitive owner i first hand, before they were banned used electric on my dog...he no longer worries sheep, and is very good with them whilst herding, its been a life saver for him, they have different types of shock, i tried it on myself before him. I wouldnt do to him what i wouldnt do to myself!

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:19:34 am »

are any of the goats horned ?

none are horned :)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:53 am »
thank you guys for all the help, i think i may get a nanny this year, ready for milking, and see what they are all like once the boy has gone e.t.c. I also need to make individual stalls and be prepared insace of bullying issues as i only have one house. Best to be prepared, so i think i may go for some next year :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 02:26:13 pm »
I think its also worth pointing out, that if the goats are a similar age, irrespective of breeds, they do tend to get on better - rather than introducing a goatling to an older female, for example.  Unfortunately, with any animals,when a new guy is put in, it is a case of showing them who is boss, and once this is established, quite often they tolerate each other.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS