Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing for the show!  (Read 2362 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Preparing for the show!
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:13:51 pm »
We have decided to enter our beautiful kune kune gilt, Penelope, into the scottish smallholder festival at Forfar. I have just ordered the board, the stick and the white coat, so hopefully can start practising showing her off in a few days. The entry form is printed off ready to be filled out and posted away. She has her green kune kune society ear tag and we have plenty of pig oil to buff her up before we go. I think this means we are all set  :thumbsup: . I am however, concerned about how she will behave in the ring due to her extremely soppy nature. Penelope has a problem in that she finds it impossible to stay on her feet when being touched. She rolls over for a belly rub at the drop of a hat, she even does it for the ducks! I am concerned she will find the stick equally as appealing and keep throwing herself to the floor. ::)
I would also like to drum up some competition please, it won't be much fun for Penelope if she is only competing against herself. The deadline is looming!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Preparing for the show!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »
Nic
Well done for entering the show world and welcome, never worry about what your pigs will do the judges are used to all sorts, just enjoy yourself and good luck.
Mandy  :pig:
Ps i have a 6mth old GOS gilt who does the tummy thing, its just part of her character and i'd rather have that than an animal with no personality at all.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41:49 pm »
only the one kunnie that you are entering       so that will be three breeders entering so far  with kunnies :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »
Showing is great fun, and everyone is friendly.

As Mandy says the judge will have seen most things before, so don't worry.

Remember that you should be smart as well - the judge will dress up properly so you should as well out of respect.  Ragged teeshirts, jeans and wellies are generally frowned upon, and a shirt and tie are work by both sexes where we show, along with sober trousers and sensible shoes.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »
The SPKA are selling showing cds for club funds, so if there is any of you wanting to support the SPKA and purchase this cd please contact me.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:56 pm »
The showing video has all this information on it and the do's and don'ts.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »
We already have Kunes entered, nic99, so there will be competition  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS