Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of getting 2 weeaners  (Read 7927 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Thinking of getting 2 weeaners
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
Sorry, but had to say something - Landieman - saying just jump in and if you cock up it will be a laugh, is in my opinion possibly the worst advice I have ever heard on here :( I have just had my first two weaners and Chris was asking all the right questions and getting good advice. Possibly making mistakes looking after any living creature is and should never be a laugh.

I took Landie's 'advice' more as "forgive yourself if things go pearshaped" rather than permission to experiment with animal welfare.  :bouquet:  All I can say is that when I forgot to shut the paddock gate and the 2 sheep we had were running us round in circles as we tried to shoo them off the veggies - laughter was much better than crying!  p.s we have had our first lot of weaners a whole month now and the only advice I can give is DO NOT GET ATTACHED.  I didn't think I would but when the girls roll over for a tummy tickle I confess to a little lump in the throat as I get out the weight tape.... 

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:26 pm »
We managed picket fencing (had some spare) with boards across the bottom for ours as we weren't sure if we would only do it once and didn't want to pay the earth for something we weren't sure we would enjoy. They had a good go at digging underneath and tried pushing them over but it did the job until butcher time.

Seeing other people's setups we will do stock fencing next spring, looks really good and strong.

We did make a straw arc with a tarp roof - worked a treat and was so warm, cosy and dry in there despite the awful rain we had. We did make sure we built it on the highest point in our plot though so it didn't flood.
Good luck pigs are fantastic!
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:27 pm »
landie - I appologise if what you said was meant  :-J
Bumblebear - Mine will be going in just under 2 weeks and sure will miss the tummy tickles. Just hope I hold it together on the day :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS