Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who is into gardening?  (Read 9289 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Re: Who is into gardening?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »
I want a garden full of dahlias and tall colourful plants and a big cottage garden thing going on.......

Grow some Lupins and Foxgloves - a great addition for any cottage garden.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:10 pm »
Yes - once I finally get a garden that doesn't get moved every year I'm going to really go to town.

My "aunt-in-law" is a landscape gardener and she's offered to help us plan our garden for us once the house is built and all the soil is in its final resting place
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 10:36:47 pm »
THe builders we had filled fours raised beds made out of a total of 24 full sized railway sleepers full of topsoil. I have shifted hundreds of barrow loads of soil around and haven't touched the surface of what needs to be done. Its all good fun!

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 11:04:43 am »
Gardening is great! We're in the process of developing a forest garden I'm focusing on edible herbs and scented plants as in the central clearing we've got our BBQ/campfire cooking area. They'll also be room for lots of flowering plants including a (hopefully) giant wisteria. My problem is I want to grow everything and find it really difficult to pick and choose. ;D 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:51:15 pm by smallholder in the city »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
We're in the process of developing a forest garden ... My problem is I want to geow everything and find it really difficult to pick and choose. ;D

Ooo ooo ooo me too! And me too!

I went to a stately home the other week, got inspired, and realised that it really wouldn't work with the plants I have. Never mind!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 08:56:49 pm »
I have ended up planting trees and shrubs as my chickens were killing of any new flowers that i tried to grow.I now plant flowers around the edge of the veg garden. Helps with the butterflies and loos pretty. We have planted over 100 trees, willow , fir, rowan. As we get a lot of wind the trees make good shelter. I spent this morning clearing up in my pollytunnel this morning getting ready for some new plants.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »
What is gardening? ;D   I grow veg for the house, pigs, rabbits and ducks. I try different veg, use this forum and read books but would never call myself a gardner. As some of the above posts demonstrate - growing plants and flowers and landscaping is expensive. We did buy a packet of wild flower seed last spring and we were given a rose but otherwise we have no flowers. "Gardening" for me is just hard work that I have to do so as to yield crops for the table and livestock. The end result makes is pleasurable but when its too hot or too cold it is just another chore.
Oh - lots of flowers next year as we have gathered loads of seeds !!  :thumbsup:

Maybe if I got myself a job then I would have spare money to grow flowers and build things but otherwise I will keep up the slog of growing veg.  ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 09:04:35 am »
MAK you are a gardener that is plain. Gardening like this is the bedrock of smallholding in my view, the flowers and shrubs and lawns (HAHA!)are the icing on the cake - but there is no doubt as you say it is hard work, not easy to get good crops as we found again this year. As I keep trying to tell myself a garden is a journey not a destination. This is no doubt a contentious statement :- you cannot be a smallholder if you are not a gardenener! (but you can be a gardener and not a small-holder)

Glebegrower

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 04:23:44 pm »
Hi
I run a company that design and build some of the most amazing gardens in London and beyond (well i would say that ) i also grow all our fruit and veg so i guess that would qualify me as a Gardener LOL
WORK

pLEASURE ?!

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 05:35:26 pm »
Pleasure looks fun!! Work looks amazing!! Got any spare plants! LOL  ;D  Stunning gardens.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 10:20:52 am »
Ive always prefered weeding a flowerbed to cleaning a room  as it seemed to last longer when the kids werte around.
Room was back where it was within the day....the flowerbed within the week

Now that there are no kids around, (and my standards have dropped ) its the plants that shout the loudest to be weeded....MUST GO and clear some more veg patch, and mow the paths.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:21 am »
Hi,
   I would love to read about your progress as a diary or a blog and some of the less experienced gareners might find a note on " what you should be doing now" very helpful. I have always been a gardener for as long as I can remember and made extra income by offering planting and garden design services a few years ago.
I have a 7 acre small holding and after spending the first 2 years renovating the house ( while working full time) and then replacing all the fencing, refurbishing the buildings, building field shelters and chicken coops etc. This summer was a chance to finally takle the garden.
I love lawns and evergreen shrub borders as well as cottage garden plants but I have 9 overgrown borders here so this years work has been clearing and dividing up existing plants. We have a very sandy soil which is a joy to work with but is always hungry and thirsty. As I dont have the money to buy new plants I grow my own plants from seed and try to get surplus plants from neighbours gardens when they are thinning out. This is not only cheaper but the plants tend to thrive better than thise from the garden centre.
I have just been collecting seeds from my flowering plants and bagging them up for next year and to sell at the charity coffee morning next month. I would love to start a plant exchange in the area and hope to do so next year.
I also buy plants from some supermarkets if they are in good condition as they are often good value. But growing my own is much more rewarding.
I look forward to reading about your progress and before and after pics would be great.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:12 am »
Lots of damage after this weeks weather. Trees hanging over, they are young rowans about 5 years old so wondering about moving them. Roots very loose. Veg garden just wrecked and I am wondering if its worth all the work to bother again next year. Maybe I will just grow in the pollytunnel and put fruit bushes in the veg plot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS