Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Got a wheel!!!  (Read 7466 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Got a wheel!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
Jaykay,
Are you thinking of swarfega?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »
Jaykay,
Are you thinking of swarfega?
Sally
Or Gunk?

Would lemon or orange work?  As you would degrease in the kitchen with a half-lemon or -orange?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
Well, it was Gunk I was thinking of.

Would prefer to eat lemons and oranges, I think there are more effective things for cleaning. Smell nice though.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
Welshcob, there is lots of good info. and some videos on this website: Joy of Handspinning

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 09:44:04 pm »
Thank you Jaykay, I'm glued to the PC now! But maybe I should be glued to my wheel  :D

I gave it a real good scrub today, I was too impatient to wait to go and buy products to remove the nasty sticky stuff so I used my kitchen's metal scrub. I figured if it's good for burned tins should be good for eons-old dirt and grease (btw I think the MiL used to spin unwashed fleeces because there was a couple of old bobbins of spun yarn that I had to unwind and left my hands greasy, but old, not in a nice way).

There was lots of rubbish and most of the wooden bits also got a good scrubbing with soapy water. Now all dried and waiting a good layer of Danish oil, which I hope to find tomorrow!

As you and SallyintNorth said, the problem with the flyer/bobbin seemed to be not enough brake tension, I adjusted it several times and now it doesn't move so much. Maybe I'll need a new brake spring but will do for the moment.

My mum comes from Italy to visit tomorrow and she has no clue what I've been up to, I'm sure she'll be as excited as me with the wheel  :excited: I hope she'll not want to steal it from me  :fc:
Lots of knitting  :knit: projects to show her, and other sewing to have fixed (she's the best tailor I know) to keep her away from the wheel  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS