Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ply from 1 bobbin  (Read 2676 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
ply from 1 bobbin
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:45:16 pm »
Hi all  :wave:

Well I filled a bobbin with yarn! Woohoo  :excited:. Unfortunately I used all of that type of top on the bobbin (Corridale) :dunce:.

I'm now not sure what to do. Should I buy more corridale and spin it to ply with the first, or can I ply with one of my other tops (Cheviot or Cotswold)? Or can I split what I have on the bobbin.

Completely didn't think whilst I was spinning and just spun away happily! Next time I'll split my fibre so I have it spun onto two bobbins. Any advice appreciated!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: ply from 1 bobbin
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »
You can Navajo ply from a single bobbin, which gives a three ply yarn - there's bound to be a Utube 'how to' on Navajo plying; it looks complicated but once you get a rhythm going it's fun.

If your other singles are fairly similar in wpi (wraps per inch) to your Corriedale you can ply them together, but stop and have a think what you will use the yarn for before you do it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »
I would just hand wind approx half from the bobbin to make a ball, stick it in a jar and ply it with the remainder on the bobbin :thumbsup:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »
You could wind half of it off onto another bobbin, so you can do two ply or I'd learn to Navajo ply as Fleecewife suggests. Both useful techniques. But yes, you could also ply it with something else, preferably about the same thickness unless you're deliberately going for art yarn  :)

It's good when you get into the flow and just keep spinning, isn't it  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:58 am »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:  It's such a good feeling, isn't it!   ;D :knit: (in lieu of spinning wheel...)

There are various techniques for splitting a bobbin and plying from two ends and various opinions on how likely you are to be able to manage that without getting into an horrendous tangle!

Here's a link to one of the most popular Navaho Plying videos

I can vouch for Navaho (chain) plying being achievable, I haven't tried the Andean ply, or the centre-pull ball ply, so can't comment on their achievability.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:20:54 am »
I've tried plying from both ends of a centre pull ball - let's say it didn't work for me  :roflanim:  Worse tangle than if a kitten had got at it  ::) :knit:  It's because the outside thread comes off spirally around the one coming from the centre of the ball, so it's tangled before you start plying.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS