Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it too late to get some Bees's and start a Hive  (Read 6191 times)

Flowers Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hampshire
Is it too late to get some Bees's and start a Hive
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »
Just wondering if I should start now or wait until next year.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Is it too late to get some Bees's and start a Hive
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »
You need the bees to be well establiished and build some stores before we get some colder weather so I wouldn't advise getting bees now.  Mind you I am a novice at it and someone more experienced might tell you differently.
Most bee clubs have courses over the winter when there isn't a lot going on so if you are a novice this would be a good way to keep the enthusiasm going and to meet like minded people.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »

If you have not had bees before I would thoroughly recommend doing a beekeeping course and joining your local beekeepers assoc.

If you get a colony now you do run the risk of the colony not surviving the winter. You would need to be very confident that they had enough stores, the queen was not too old and they had been treated for varroa (or you would need to treat them) to give them the best chance. The plus point would be that you would then have a colony that should, theoretically, be ready to get going for next year and be in a position to give you a surplus of honey.

Alternatively reserve yourself a colony first thing next spring from a fellow experienced beekeeper - some will do this and make sure that the colony is viable for you next spring. As you can imagine the cost of such a colony would be more expensive than one now (if there are any available in the first place) because of the reduced risk you are taking.

I got my first bees this year - in June. The weather has been so sh1te that quite a few of the beekeepers in the assoc are not able to take off any honey - me included  :(  I am hoping that I will get my colony through the winter so that they have a chance of getting going in the spring next year.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:20 pm »
I'm planning to start in the spring so I'm going on a course now and will go to the local beekeepers meets through the winter, set all the stuff up and get the bees in in May time. Most of those on my course are in the same position. From the little I've learnt so far, it would be tough to start with a nucleus at this time of year with the hope they'd get through the winter because they'll have missed most of the pollen/nectar for this year and the queen will be cutting back on laying as well so they'll have no food and no workers to collect it either.

H

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:18 pm »
I echo what has already been posted above.  It's been a bad year for the  :bee: :bee: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:14:10 am »
Hester,
I think your approach is exactly right.  Enjoy your course in the winter and good luck when you start with the bees in spring.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Flowers Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:51 am »
Thank you all for your sound advice, I will wait until next year and attend a Bee Keeping Course over the Winter and join my local club.

So glad I reached out.

Excellent site this

Thanks everyone

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:23:19 pm »
We've just got a six frame nuc from another beekeeper - that give us two hives. We had re-queen the first one. They'll need fed until spring but hopefully next year will be better  :fc:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »
You should also be in line for a local beekeeping effects and apparatus winter and spring auction  where you can get set up cheaply with " well used gear " .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:55 am »
OH runs the local BKA education and is pretty worried for next year because it's been such a lousy year.  Getting enough colonies through winter is a fingers crossed exercise
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS