Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home kitchen for commercial use  (Read 3431 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
home kitchen for commercial use
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »
I only have my mobile and struggled to find an answer, but I apologise if it has been asked before.

Can we use our farmhouse kitchen for commercial use, and what key provisions must be in place?

Thanks

Chris
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

robert waddell

Re: home kitchen for commercial use
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »
from previous people asking     it depends on what you are going to do in the kitchen      baking is allowed (or that was the impression that was given )   while butchery and meat preparation is not :farmer:

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:38 pm »
It was to be for a variety of tasks (at different times)

Baking
Jam & Chutney Making
Poultry Prep & Packaging (not slaughter or plucking)
Sausage making
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:45:31 pm »
My aunty started a cupcake business from home and I know she had to have her kitchen pass an inspection, also she has  to weigh and identify all ingredients that go into each different flavour.
Not sure about meat though, but I'm pretty sure you have to have two sink areas as you need separate facilities for hand washing.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »
Your local EHO and Trading Standards will help, the first with food hygiene and the second with labelling.

Food hygiene depends on the risk to public health posed by the product - jams and chutneys are generally low risk because the boiling kills most bacteria. Raw meat is a higher risk because it's dead animal even though it's going to be thoroughly cooked. Baking is pretty low risk unless you are using cream, custard etc that are ideal breeding ground for bacteria if contaminated and stored incorrectly; likewise processed meats like ham or dairy products are high risk.

Apart from preventing bacterial contamination and subsequent culture, you will need to show due diligence in preventing physical contamination by hair, dog hair, fingernails, stones from rings etc etc

It's a good idea to go on a Food Hygiene course - your local Council or College run them. The basic one is one day, then there are other levels higher than that. It's NOT compulsory to go on one but it helps to prove due diligence if all "staff" have undertaken appropriate training.

If you are planning to all these things, you will have to have proper procedures in place for thorough cleaning and disinfection between say poultry prep and baking, to avoid cross contamination by bacteria. Probably good to have them documented as well. You'll also need to do stuff like monitor chill and freezer storage temperatures (and document it) and have a way of calibrating the thermometer.

If it's raw meat, I think you have to be certified by EHO and have a proper cutting plant.

Your EHO is a good person to talk to or maybe your local Business Gateway, who will undoubtedly have other small businesses who can advise.

Good luck with the project, though.

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:16 pm »
Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for your reply - EHO will visit me next week once I have everything in place.

I explained our processed which I amended from your advice and in principal he said all sounds good.

As each task will be done on different days we are writing out our processes, what we use and how we maintain and clean them - this will be put in a binder which anyone who is involved will have to read and can use as a guide.

We are also paying a little more to get totally separate utensils and box them individually - therefore guranteeing no cross contamination.

We are also fortunate that we have half a dozen fridge freezers we rescued from people chucking them - these are housed in  our outhouse and each one is for each specific task

Will let you all know the final outcome.

Ps, I had already done a food hygiene cert and they said that showed I was serious and they will always help those willing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS