Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warm?  (Read 8139 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Warm?
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
you might think so, but when the oil tank empties overnight and the heating doesn't kick in in the morning, you soon realise that it ain't so warm when you pop your head out from under that duvet!!!!!

brrrrrrrrr

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Warm?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:15:47 am »
The best investment I made last winter was an electric underblanket..It makes sleeping on your own a real pleasure :D :D :D
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:23:23 am »
the sleeping part isn't the problem, it's the getting up and letting the dog out part i'm struggling with!!!!

can't even have a hot shower as it runs off the combi boiler!!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:21 am »
Nightmare Sellickbhoy  :(
Hope your tank wasn't full up ?
A hairdresses friend of mine once told me that if your hands are cold, the best way to heat them up is to wash them with COLD water, and that works - wouldn't fancy trying it in the shower, but you never know.......................... ;)

sandy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »
That certain time in my life where my heating is not regulated, I am either tooooo hot or freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing, one bad thing about being female!!! They should find a way of storing all the heat I produce durring the night ;D ;D ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:17:44 pm »
it really is freezing! working out there in the sunshine I want to take the fleece off but put it back on as soon as a cloud shows! Certainly fels colder than it should in MidMay.
The central heating is off for now, we still have a fire every night! :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:13:57 am »
I took my mother to the Lake District last week on a coach holiday, it was very wet, windy and so cold we needed golves. This week at home there has been sunshine but far from the warmth you would expect from May  :o

sandy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:50 am »
I moved from Leicestershire 3 years ago and love being here in Central Scotland, I remember sweltering in my car and even my bottled water was hot, don't think I will have that problem here, I like it cool as long as the sun comes out sometimes I do actualy like wind and at least a bit of rain save you from having to water the plants!!!!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:08:37 am »
freezing east wind straight from Siberia, just started to come with rain - I am fed up! not having to water is the only benefit...:&>

sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:28:20 am »
I have been standing watching the chickens with their morning treat of left overs the BIG CROWS are gobbling it all and I am cold!!!!!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »
and I'm supposed to look for a stray egg - she's determined to lay in the garden  - am I really going out there, I wonder? :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »
Shouldn't bother - the second you go to make another cup of tea the crows, or the magpies will be down and snaffle it!  I left a couple in a plant pot while I went to put the girls back in their kennels - literally ONE minute - big hole in one and a teeny hole in the other.  The girls got them for their tea! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:35 pm »
crows, possibly - but she's very crafty at hiding them! So small she gets into tiny spaces...I made one tour at lunchtime and do have to go out again (brrrrr) to the compost heap. It's really horrid up here! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:42 pm »
It's really horrid down her too - been at Ingliston this morning for SKC Champ show - usually stay all day - not today - flippin perishing it was, so got back for lunch at 1.15 and put the heating on.  Wish i had a coal fire I could snuggle up to. >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »
oil tank is empty here too, SB...I'll light the fire now to dry myself after that trip to the heap and just realised that I forgot to get the herbs for cooking....out again ---- :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS