Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for newbie re topping paddocks  (Read 13138 times)

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
Advice for newbie re topping paddocks
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:17:50 pm »
Hi - I wonder if anyone could give me some advice as we are new "smallholders" and learning lots!

We have 22 acres, 10 of which has just been cut for hay by a contractor.

Of the remaining 12 about 10 is used as paddocks for alpacas and miniature ponies.   Of this we have two large paddocks, each about 2 acres, that haven't been topped or cut at all this year, tho have been grazed. The grass is long, there is lots of clover and loads and loads of yarrow, that is now very stalky. We have just bought an old Ford 4000 tractor in order to top the paddocks but from my research I think perhaps a flail mower would serve us better to get through this dense long grass/clover/yarrow.  The other 6 acres is mainly grass.

I found a flail mower this morning that was reasonable (about £1400 for a 1.6m) here http://www.smallholderequipment.co.uk/flail-mower--fl-2051-p.asp
which is about the price I want to pay but having looked around the web it seems a bit cheap?? I don't really want to spend much more and have had a look on ebay but as we are new to this I don't want to make a mistake or buy a rubbish make!

I've read alot about toppers breaking if the pasture is too thick or long. The ground is level but there are some peaks and troughs that I bounce over on the quad! It doesn't appear stony but tbh I can't tell through the dense growth!

Any advice please?

robert waddell

Re: Advice for newbie re topping paddocks
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:43:34 pm »
what you will find with a follow behind mower/topper/flail mower is   where the wheels run that part springs back up and makes it look streaky           another alternative is a normal turbo mower set higher so it is not shaving the grass       you can break most implements if it  is used incorrectly
how much did you pay for your 4000 and what year is it   we currently use a 35 hp tractor with a 9 ft side mounted /trailed Wylie topper  a bit slow compared to using it behind 150 hp tractor but it does the job  :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »
I think I would want to see photos of the actual flail mechanism underneath before parting with that money. A flail mower IS probably the right thing with any ground that has rough stuff to get through and peaks and troughs. It doesnt give the same finish as a topper but is much more robust if you just want rough lumpy grassland cut and it def gets through yarrow etc no problem.
Our flail mower (bigger and cheaper than that one, ours was second hand from ebay, about £500) has a long axle mounted horizontally with great big hooked blades spiralling out from it all the way along its length. Is that what this one has?
Also check how thick the metal is - flail mowers will cope with stones but the stones can hit the metal coverwork with such force that if it isnt thick enough, they will make holes!! so it needs to be thick stuff.
I wasnt aware of out flail mower having shear bolts altho the cheaper toppers have them. Not sure if thats common on flails or not.
What HP is the Ford? Our old John Deere is 75hp and even tho it is 1976 vintage it copes with a 10foot flail mower without running out of puff so for fuel money saving and a quicker job, you might want to consider one a bit bigger?
hope this helps?

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:00 pm »
lm they all have shearbolt protection otherwise the drive train will be wrecked     4000 should be 55 hp unless it has had an engine change  4600 is 65 hp   then you can tweak the injection pump to give more and assist cold start :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:01:15 am »
I thought eg more expensive toppers/flails used a different method, as shear bolts tend to shear not infequently.
 Oh seemed to think our flail uses the belt drive to protect itself rather than shear bolts?

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
Hi - and thanks so much for your replies - I hate being a newbie!!!

Robert - we paid £2400 for our Ford 4000. My husband says when running it is "sweet"!!! We have plans to renovate it over the winter but it works just fine. 

Am thinking we might be better off and biting the bullet and paying a little more for a better machine......

Been a bit preoccupied today as we had our first alpaca baby! She is so sweet and an utter time waster. The flail mower/topper can wait!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:52 pm »
lm if the drive belt is used as protection the belt will burn out eventually
jode that is not to bad a price    if it is not needing anything just leave it alone  :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:24:44 pm »
agree with you on that one Robert!! ta for the info on the belt too  :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »
the first topper i had was a Kidd belt driven it slipped and did burn the belts out but it had over 120 hp going through it         the Wylie one we have just now is gear driven with shear bolt protection  on all the drive shafts      but have seen some with twisted drive shafts betwean the rotors and gouged out panels with lose drive shafts

before the toppers we used a claas Wm 165 set in the topping position   it was gear driven as well :farmer:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 03:26:15 am »
A six foot direct drive quality topper will have no trouble with the job you describe especially with 50hp+ and will cost under £800. A flail mower will cost a lot more and will almost certainly be Chinese.  My Fleming has been utterly reliable.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:24 am »
Oh - small farmer, just seen your reply. Could you suggest a make that's good quality? Or where to buy from? The internet is a wonderful thing but I do feel i am going around in circles a bit!

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 03:58:08 am »
Doh - just reread and you have  fleming.  I should really be in bed!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:01:47 am »
A six foot direct drive quality topper will have no trouble with the job you describe especially with 50hp+ and will cost under £800. A flail mower will cost a lot more and will almost certainly be Chinese.  My Fleming has been utterly reliable.
UMMmm Im not sure....we have a (bought new) Fleming 6 foot topper and on our bumpy and sometimes stony ground the shear bolts shear like ninepins....also the tin is pretty thin and started to rust within 18 months - it might be we were unlucky tho!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:07 am »
I bought a 6ft second hand Fleming topper for £400 at auction. It hadn't been abused and looked and worked fine.
It's direct drive and shear bolt protected. These bolts will go if your not carefull and starting the machine up on low revs and then letting it down helps. They are very easy to replace and alot cheaper than replacing a belt.
In your position I'd get a contractor in first and let them cut it.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS