Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised bed woes  (Read 4733 times)

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
Raised bed woes
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:53 pm »
After talking about for long enough OH and I took the plunge and made a start on a veggie patch.  It's about 4'x5' and we've been at it for two days now and it's still not finished!!!!!  I knew the ground would be heavy and have stones in it but I reckon you could make pots with some of this stuff.  We're double digging and have only done the bottom layer - mixed in compost and some shredded paper.  We started breaking up the sods we cut off the top but cos they've dried out a bit they're like bricks!!!! 
We're retiring for the evening to nurse our aching muscles and blisters (note to self - get some gloves).  Any hints/tips/suggestions welcome (OH wants to go and get a load of topsoil and sod the sods lol!)
Auds x

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Raised bed woes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:32 pm »
get the hose out and soak it

a good hosing will break up the clumps of earth

other than that - it's all hard graft i'm afraid

you could of course cheat and make a raised bed - easy work!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »
Yup, that's what I did.  Made a rectangle with 6 inch wide left over bits from conservatory (plastic so they won't rot) Cut the turves, turned them over so the grass was totally covered, laid cardboard/newspaper on top, then riddled earth and compost mixed together.  Do you want any seeds to plant once you've done - I've still got loads left.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:34 pm »
you can't do it all in one go. I started 13 years ago and am still not finished, lol. Poor soil and stones are just hard work. Some folks just cover it all (paper and grass cuttings), then top up with a thick layer of good compost (ask your local council, they deliver - we just got some and it's very good quality) and plant on top. Unfortunately that wasn't an option for us as our weeds (dock and couch grass) would just have grown through eventually. So I'm still digging and the veggie patch is getting nearer perfection (only in my eyes) with each year. Each patch I start with very basic clearing and then plant potatoes. This help  a great deal by loosening the soil for anything you want to plant next year in it. :&>

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:30 pm »
found this site on youtube found her very helpful she has a load of videos

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B07CCD2F921A8F08&search_query=planting+cauliflower

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:15:13 am »
Thanks for that link Relic - looks really good.  Before I go on, are you the guy that owns the 'amazing maize maze' per chance?  I was brought up in Newcastle and went to High School in Castlewellan (small world eh?)
Anyways, going to keep on working at the sods - was just breaking them up as best I can then riddling it through but maybe giving them a good soak might be the way to go.  I read somewhere that digging a trench around the bed and filling it with gravel helps with drainage so will probably do that too.  When it's all done it's going to be edged in upturned wine bottles - got quite a collection already (doesn't take long in this house lol!)
Auds x

PS - found this website www.bhg.com which has loads of garden plans - do you think they would work ok over here?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:33:29 pm by Audmum »

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:44:30 pm »
no probs. she has a load of videos covering most things. no im just a blow in from Dublin livin in kilcoo nearly 2 years now.

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:32:25 pm »
Nice part of the country round Kilcoo - my mum was thinking of moving out that way a few years ago but things didn't pan out.
Annie - thanks for the offer of seeds but I've got loads.  I think I'm turning into a seed buying addict - I can't seem to stop myself lol!  With a bit of luck I'll get this bed finished soon and maybe get some cabbage and broccolli in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS