Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3296 times)

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
Hello
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »
Hi all, my name is Tim, and I'm an accidental smallholder - there I've said it!!  :wave:

My wife and I have talked about moving to the country and getting a small place with some land for years. We have always lived in a town and had a small garden where I kept chickens and grew my own fruit/veg for years. So I guess this move has been the next logical step.

Unfortunately due to the current financial climate and house prices etc, it was impractical to sell up and repurchase, so we decided to rent our house out to our son, and then rent a small country cottage with a large garden and an acre paddock right next door.

We did this in March of this year, and I have to say it's great - quiet, secluded and GREEN! No more miles of tarmac everywhere, or drunken brawlers passing the house at 2am.

Our noisiest neighbours are the birds and a nearby brook.

My chicken count has increased from 5 to 16, we now have 3 sheep, 2 goats and a polytunnel, which next year hopefully will be full of goodies.  ;)

I think now with a few questions / issues on the horizon, it's time for me to join TAS for some advice, experience and words of encouragement.  :-\

Tim

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »
 :wave: Welcome from a humid Yorkshire. TAS is brilliant - lots of support, knowledge and experience eagerly shared by friendly members.  Not been a member long myself but have found it invaluable at times, even if just to maintain my sanity with a dip in the 'jokes and funnies' section.  :roflanim:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:46 pm »
Hello Tim

Welcome to the forum and congrat's on making the move to the countryside!

We have goats, chickens and sheep too, so looking forward to chatting some more and hearing how your new adventure is panning out!

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »
Hi Tim  :wave:  and welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you will enjoy being part of this big family and will leanr a lot.  WARNING:  TAS IS ADDICTIVE.   :roflanim:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:52:50 pm »
Hello  :wave: from Staffordshire. This site is VERY addictive, which is why I'm sitting in bed and still on here!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:06 pm »
Hi there, and welcome from Sue in worcestershire  :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »
Hello and welcome from Durham.  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »
Hiya  :wave:  & welcome from West Scotland
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »
Forgot to ask, what sort are your goats?  I have a pure Sanaan, a Sanaan x British Alpine and a Sanaan x Boer.  Great fun.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:16 am »
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum from Bathgate  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:48 am »
 :wave: and welcome from just about to be  :sunshine: Carnoustie!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 08:12:57 am »
Hi Tim welcome to TAS. You'll love us most of the time. Some of us say it like it is but we all mean well. It's an invaluable place to be part of. Good luck with your new enterprise.

FaeFife

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:50:17 pm »
Hi Tim, welcome to the good life! You're headed in the right direction and if you find you tire of the long hours, you can always move back to the town, at least you can say you have tried!
It's a great way of life to those suited for it.
Why wait till next year to fill your tunnel with goodies, start now! I normally have a good supply of green salad leaves through the winter. Winter lettuce, mizuna, rocket and spinach. If its forecast heavy frost, chuck some fleece over it.  Why wait?

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:58:10 pm »
Really addictive! I should be doing something useful not sitting here but I am on AGAIN  :excited:

Are your goats for milk, meat or just to be cute?

:wave: from Essex
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS