Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Horseradish  (Read 17474 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Wild Horseradish
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:20 pm »
bought some horseradish at T's 10 years ago and planted it in MY garden, how subversive is that?
Shame I missed that program now, all those people being nasty after they've been cooked for just got on my nerves a few episodes back...
If anyone wants to gather some dock, come to my garden and help yourself! You don't want the horse radish, it makes you cry once you cut it's skin! Maybe the wild one's milder.
Must check out the edible weed pages again lol.
:&>

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 03:46:17 pm »
Does anyone know if it grows wild in Scotland - Food for free book only says south England?

???

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 04:04:10 pm »
Does anyone know if it grows wild in Scotland - Food for free book only says south England?

???

no one tell Alec Salmond!!! the Scottish Parliament will demand Scottish Horseradish grown freely in our lands and we will not be held over a barrel by the south east of england on the availability of horseradish!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »
And hear hear to that too!  Them thieves ain't gettin nuttin of mine!  When I was in Norway last weekend, people kept referring to the oil as us Scots having to share it with England even though it's ours - they couldn't understand why we had to do that and come to think of it neither do I!  Anyone guessed I'm a Nationalist yet?  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 05:21:29 pm »
well, well. nationalism rears it's ugly head.What is the point of being anti English? we people down here don't even want you to be English. A Scot is a Scot and should remain so. Anyway I am interested in where I can get this wild horse radish in lincolnshire.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »
lol Am not scottish , don't want to be either  :P

Am a Welsh lass, SO THERE !!!!! who happens to live in scotland lol

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:51 am »
I don't think horseradish sauce is an English dish as such anyway.

History

Horseradish has been cultivated since antiquity. According to Greek mythology, the Delphic Oracle told Apollo that the horseradish was worth its weight in gold. Horseradish was known in Egypt in 1500 BC and has traditionally been used by Jews from eastern Europe in Passover Seders, often representing maror. Cato discusses the plant in his treatises on agriculture, and a mural in Pompeii showing the plant has survived until today. Horseradish is probably the plant mentioned by Pliny the Elder in his Natural History under the name of Amoracia, and recommended by him for its medicinal qualities, and possibly the Wild Radish, or raphanos agrios of the Greeks.

Both root and leaves were used as a medicine during the Middle Ages and the root was used as a condiment on meats in Germany, Scandinavia, and Britain.  It was taken to North America during Colonial times.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 01:10:35 pm »
ah good old Wikipedia

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:33 pm »
Hmmm, yes, but I do wonder how accurate WP is?  It seems very open to be changed by anyone who doesn't think it's correct.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 04:42:56 pm »
pliny the elder ??? And here I thought this was a gardening programme!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS