Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Horseradish  (Read 17472 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Wild Horseradish
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:38 am »
i was watching that unusually addictive program "Come dine with me" last week

one of the chaps on it was a bit of a "grow your own" type - we've all seen them, Holier than though sorts taking the moral high ground because they don't rely on tesco!! tut tut!! LOL

anyway, one of the things he used in his recipe was wild horseradish.

he just walked out the house and down the lane and dug some up from the side of the road. He then said that the stuff grows all over the place and you'll have no trouble finding it.

it looked just like doc leaves to me.

so, how do i identify wild horseradish and does it indeed grow freely in the countryside? and does it look just like a doc leaf?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Wild Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:42:06 am »
And apart from anything else is that not now illegal - to dig up roots of wild plants?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:45:07 pm »
i think it might depend 'where you dig it up from'

You can buy it from B&Q in root form for plantting, I got some before i went away in march and planted it up and it startting to show in the BIGGGGGGGGGGG pot i put it in.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:04 pm »
i'll be asking the farmer who owns the field if i can lift it - so no legal issues

but i'm not about to go digging up dock leaves for him!! :-)

i don't really want to plant any in my garden - i'll only use it once in a blue moon and if it grows freely nearby, then that's one less thing for me to look after.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 02:18:41 pm »
seen the same program he came across as a bit of a nob to me "oh i dug this up from my garden" (your mothers garden the narrator is great lol) did he win the money as i didnt see the last girl cook (saying that she was a bit of a nob also) but i have to say i went out with my spade to dig up the wild horseradish which apparently grows everywhere. only managed to dig up dock weed which does grow everywhere.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:59:09 pm »
yeah, he won and the money was going to help pay for finishing his house - which might be nice if he ever gets around to finishing it.

yeah, all the veg came from his mothers garden - as his wasn't quite ready yet

he was one of these people who would put me off wanting to grow my own. Dunno what it was about him, just his air of superiority I guess - or the fact he was a grade a knob (as you put it)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 03:23:51 pm »
what got me also was when yer one asked him were is pigs organic and he kinda paused then said "not organic but free range" the last time i looked free range pigs dont live in a shed. not sure if he had them there permentally or just cos the sow had little piggys. also i cant see him butchering a whole pig on the little butchers block he had in his kitchen.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:25:16 pm »
p.s any look finding wild horseradish

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:16 pm »
well, i've not looked much more, but i suspect what's growing near me is just dock.

when i'm taking the dog out tonight, so i'll go via the farmers field and have a wee close look and see what i find.

as for the come dine with me chap - can't help thinking Mummy and Daddy had a little bit of money and were funding his free range lifestyle.

oh yeah, i'm that judgemental with everyone btw!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 03:38:32 pm »
I think it's called cynicism lol

I don't like horseradish so i'm not going to look for any
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:49:40 pm »
I don't like horseradish so i'm not going to look for any

i've never tried it, but i like nippy things!!! so thought i'd try some.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 09:22:24 pm »
I love horseradish on beef. Someone gave us a bit of root but it didn't come to anything.

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 09:42:47 pm »
It does grow around everywhere.  Dock normally has a redish tinge to the leaf stem and veins that horseradish doesn't.  Also horseradish leaves a larger, they stand more upright and look a little like large spinach leaves.  Once you get your eye in they are easy to spot - its especially prolific in Lincolnshire.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:15:29 pm »
are you mates with yer man from "come dine with me" sanman lol.

i know what you mean about dock having the redish tinge to the leaf stem and im
sure if yea spot one youll see them everywhere

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 10:18:45 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS