Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 8356 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Advice please
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »
All goat lovers welcome, but a warning the midges are out tonight :goat:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:28 pm »
I think some of us might be moving in to take advantage of the munchies  :excited:

:roflanim:

I'm sure you will soon work out what your goats like.  They do vary.  One of mine would do anything for roasted peanuts (the salty ones).  My siz month old hasn't got the hang of treats yet and tends to sniff then ignore.

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 05:17:56 pm »
Hi, sorry to ask and I may have missed it but is your Billy a castrate?
Ann

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »
Re the 'you'll suss out what they like' my goats don't like too many different things (I must have deprived them) so I was buying  bags of dried fruit at treats - some loved it, some totally turned up their noses like ..... what's this ..... so I ate it!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
Re the 'you'll suss out what they like' my goats don't like too many different things (I must have deprived them) so I was buying  bags of dried fruit at treats - some loved it, some totally turned up their noses like ..... what's this ..... so I ate it!!!

We used to buy digestive biscuits for the goats because they love them.  Unfortunately, so did we so we had to keep buying more.   :innocent:   Now the goats have rich tea which neither of us like and they last much longer.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 10:42:13 pm »
Well no-one has told my goats that they are supposed to like weeds, nettles, docks, willow..in fact anything other than basic cattle nuts! They do however like my neighbours hawthorn hedge. Just waiting for the swearing when he realises they are pruning it for him!!

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 04:51:28 pm »
Yes my boy has been done :innocent:  they seem to turn there noses up at most things, except the mixed corn and sheep crunch. Maybe still a bit young, but will get some dried fruit just to try.
It would just be nice to have something small to give them as they come running everytime they see me, and I can't take the guilt :(
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:10 pm »
I had to teach my goat kids to eat sultanas. Now they burgle my pockets just like their mums  :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 08:16:20 pm »
wilted nettles, willow herb, rose hedging, blackberry n raspberry leaves, they love it.
we have to teach our young ponies to like titbits, and literally put the apple / carrot in their mouth til they realise its food. then theres no stopping them.

:excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »
MIne turn their noses up at wilted nettles no matter how many times I tell them the book says they will love them.  Roses, blackberry and raspberry yes.  And sticky weed.   They also enjoy buddleia, unless I give it to them and mock orange.  When I cut down the cllimbing beans they enjoy those (not that mine have climbed very much this year) and would kill for apple,pear and plum prunings even if they have to do the pruning themselves.   ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS