Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 8357 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Advice please
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:35 am »
I am now the very happy owner of 2 bagots, they are happy eating the croft but I know I should have a mineral suppliment (copper?) what do i buy? and is there anything else they should have, the nanny is just weaned and the billy a few months older. They have been wormed and their feet are fine. Older more wiser goat owners please advice :eyelashes:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:53:19 am »
Mine have a red rockie and a monthly cobalt drench.  Don't know about Bagots but I expect they're the same.
Someone else will be along shortly to say I'm wrong I expect.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:01:39 am »
Chris.........call Brinicombes on 01363 778792.    They make a special goat feed balancer which is literally sprinkled on the food.
Copper is a major issue in UK , most areas being very low indeed.  Goats need the same amount of copper as a cow.
Brinicombes price usually includes delivered to your door.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:46 am »
Find out from your neighbouring sheep farmers if there is a known deficiency. If not, a yellow rockie is fine, if yes - and then its most likely copper/cobalt or similar you would have to drench additionally.
Depends what you want to do with your goats - if not milking and these are purely pets/weed controllers then I wouldn't worry too much about add-ons. Then  rockie alone should be ok.
Mine (milkers) get yellow rockie, caprivite, garlic and seasweed, plus linseeds sprinkled on once a week or so. Heavy milkers more caprivite. My BT's devour their Rockie, the GG's don't touch except last couple of weeks before kidding. I would hav thought Bagots are a lot less demanding for their food than my (sometimes) highly strung BT's....
Just check for worms would be my advice.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
No goats locally, in fact the locals think we are a bit barmy (nothing new there) silly question but whats a 'rockie' and what should I look for on line, my local agri store has little for goats.
Mine are as pets, although I might breed in a year or so, dependant on how we go. I need to be more confident before even thinking about that.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:19 am »
Rockies are mineralised salt licks, they are cheaper and longer lasting than the molassed tubs and cope with all weathers - they are great!
http://rockies.co.uk/
Just to add as I noticed on your other post that you have got some sheep as well. Unless they need copper for some reason it can be harmful to them so if there is any chance of them sharing ground with the goats,  a red Rockie with copper in it would not be suitable for your fields, you would have to use the yellow non copper one which is safe for all stock and feed any copper supplement to your goats in feed which the sheep cannot get to.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:32:08 am by lachlanandmarcus »

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:23:16 pm »
Chris , your agri merchant will know the local deficiencies as well as anyone , do you bring the goats in at night ? if so that is where to put the salt lick so that the sheep can't get at it, You will probably have to bring your vet up to speed on goats , especialy on things like worming (1.5 x the sheep dose.) Join the BGS .

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »
Many thanks for all the help, the goats come in at night so I can see that is when they could get anything the sheep would not be allowed. I have got some sheep crunch would a little of this for the goats be an idea at the moment? I am concerned that they grow well as they are so young :thinking:  the croft land is very mixed and they seem fond of the dock at the moment. I will chat to the local agri merchant, but as I mentioned they are not very goat aware.
The little lad is halter trained and I want to get the little nanny tame what do others give as a treat?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »
My goats love docks all the time,  we have a red rockie (rockie do have a website but you should be able to get it at any farm store) but our sheep can't get to it for reasons already mentioned.

How old are they? Are they having any goat feed?

treat wise, mine will do anything for a biscuit (not chocolate) - custard creams, digestive, rich tea...! bindweed, bit of willow, slices of fruit or veg, bread crust, few bits of dried pasta...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:22:31 pm »
Thanks Plums, the nanny is just weaned, the billy is a month or so older. I wondered about a handful of the sheep crunch when they get shut in for the night?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:41 pm »
My goats have twice daily rations of feed till they are 2 years old (unless they are producing milk etc). So currently I have 2 nannies producing milk that are over 2 yrs and they have their feed, the kid has his (he is 5 months) and the Wether (Reggie) gets a handful so he's not left out  ;)
[size=78%]I anchor them so they only eat their own and I can ensure each goat has what they need. I add a mineral supplement and seaweed to their evening meal.[/size]
I don't know about sheep crunch and I have read on here that their is contention as to whether goat mix is a good enough feed for goats but mine have it with oats and beet. Some feed their nanny's cattle nuts if they are milking them but this year I've not done so because my maidens milk yield far surpassed what we needed, bless her!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »
Thanks Plums, the nanny is just weaned, the billy is a month or so older. I wondered about a handful of the sheep crunch when they get shut in for the night?
Lots of people feed their goats sheep mix, as it is cheaper and diary (cattle) nuts are often not available if you re not in a dairy area. Some of my (milking even) goats don't like dairy nuts. Given that yours are Bagots I wouldn't feed a high protein mix, so some sheep mix should be fine.
Mine love banana (but had to get used to it initially, they only ate the peel to begin with), carrots (cut into sticks rather than slices)are also goood, most fruit and veg - but they have their individual preferences. Mine also love toast, and yes docks are most sought after.... :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:36:51 pm »
Mine (Old English) get sheep crunch when they come in at night and have a red Rockie in their byre. I keep hay in the racks in their byre too.

Other than that, they graze - it's pretty ropey grazing, mainly seaves (soft rushes), some docken, rough grasses.

When I milk them, they get dairy nuts too.

For treats mine love mixed chicken corn, sultanas and digestive biscuits  :)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »
Thank you all for the help, off to give my two beautiful bagots some digestives and sheep crunch.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »
I think some of us might be moving in to take advantage of the munchies  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS