Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hoof problems  (Read 5343 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Hoof problems
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:22 am »
One of my ewes has poor front hooves - they seem to crack very badly so I'm trying to check them regularly. She's not lame (at the minute!) but when I checked her hooves today, at the top of them both just near the coronary band the hoof was soft and almost squashy in parts - difficult to describe and a picture wouldn't really help, but it was almost like there was a bubble of air trapped. When I touched the area it didn't hurt her. I have been putting some hoof ointment on them - it's called Hoof Rub designed for horses really but it said 'Contains eucalyptus and essentail oils to help prevent cracking and breaking. Massage thoroughly into coronary band and down outer walls of the hoof.' I've used this a few times. I dont' want to make matters worst but I also don't want her to have trouble later if I could sort a problem before it started. I wondered about getting the vet to look at her, but I know the wide expertise there is on this forum so I thought I'd try here first. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hoof problems
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:41 am »
She may have an old problem that's left a gap between hoof and foot in there.  If you were experienced you would probably pare the dead hoof away to make sure there isn't anything active in there, but I wouldn't recommend a novice cutting around the coronary band when the ewe doesn't seem to be troubled.

Do you have a local farmer or experienced sheep-keeper you could ask to pare it for you?  Or take her to the vet (cheaper!) to get them to do it?

Otherwise, just keep an eye on her - chances are it won't cause any further problems.

If the ewe hasn't had a mineral drench in a while, that'd do no harm - people talk about zinc especially being essential for good hooves.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »
Thanks for your reply! I'm not experienced! So I think as you say just keep an eye on her.. if anything should change I'll get the vet to come and check her out. The part of the hoof that is soft and squashy doesn't seem dead but I'll keep checking it! There is always a  general purpose mineral lick in the field. Thanks Sally. 
4 pet sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »
Hi Mop,
If she gets cracks then a bit of grit or dirt could have got in and caused an abscess. Also a previous abscess would show as a crack where it burst through and the signs move down the foot as the horn continues to grow.
I am not sure that the equine hoof treatment is suitable for sheep hoof as it may contain an agent which has a softening effect on the sheep hoof. The manufacturers could advise you on this.
 lucky for you the post man has just arrived with my sheep books from amazon so I have looked it up for you to see if it could be caused by anything else.
Acording to Sheep Health, Husbandry and Disease by Agnes Winter and Claire Phythian it seems that she may have Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis. With CODD signs of disease are seen at the coronet band where there is inflamation and often coronary haemorage. This would explain the spongy air bubble that you described.
the effects are seperation of the horn which extends rapidly down the claw resulting in most of the horn becoming loose. If it is CODD, which is a reletivley new disease and only seems to be a problem in this country, then you would need to consult your vet.
CODD is serious and contagious as its name suggests and spreads quickly particularly in housed sheep. If it is not treated symptoms become chronic and result in permanently damaged feet.
I do hope that this is not the cause of her foot problems but would give the vet a call and chat through her symptoms. A phone call could save you alot of money and heart ache as well as putting your mind at rest.
 :-\ :sheep:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:56 am »
Thanks Buffy - I'm going to have a word with my vet straight away. I'll let you know what he says, but thanks again for taking the time to look in your new book! 
4 pet sheep

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:05 am »
One of my ewes has come cracked hooves - I searched on here and came up with 'shelly hoof' and today was planning to trim back what I safely can and then give her a blast of purple spray?
I think the warm but wet weather is playing havoc with feet this year - my goats are not doing too well in that dept either.
will be interested to hear what your vet says 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:30 pm »
I doubt it's CODD - she'd be very lame and the lesion would be very sore, eventually making a bleeding open sore at the coronet.  But by all means talk it through with your vet for peace of mind.  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:25 pm »
I spoke with my vet who basically said the same as Sally - he said she'd be very lame and would possibly have sores between her hooves and around the coronary band. He said some sheep have softer hooves than others and  to keep checking her hooves. If I wanted to I could try to put her in a footbath with some copper sulphate based foot dip, but didn't particularly recommend this as he said it tends to harden the hooves but make them more brittle and my ewe seems to have got quite brittle hooves now. So just keep trimming loose pieces if they appear so that they don't snag on anything and be vigilant! Call him again if I feel it's necessary. Plums - Its interesting to hear you are also  having foot problems. I think the main thing is just to keep checking! I hope your ewe and goats are OK. after trimming!
4 pet sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:31:31 pm »
Well thats good news :relief:
              a call to the vet is always helpful I find.  Also, a bit of tlc and wait 'n' see.   ;)  Sounds like you are on the case with it anyway hope it improves :fc:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »
Thanks Buffy!
4 pet sheep

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:38 am »
yes a terrable year for feet, ive have so many more issues this year, most of my ewes got very soft hoofs and shelly hoof, had 6 or 7 that I had to did out and cut away the hoof so it could breath. i will check mine again in a few weeks to see how they are mending and to see if they need a foot bath.
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »
Yes Andy I agree an awful foot year... I hope you get yours sorted out!
4 pet sheep

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:54:06 am »
Yes - a bad foot year.

We are not terribly experienced with feet and I have a low threshold for calling the vet.

We are on a footvax programme now and I am thinking of setting up a proper sheep race with a foot bath so we can check them regularly in future.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS