Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is there a solution?  (Read 11931 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Re: Is there a solution?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
Totally agree re making friends. Step mother in law lives on same street. Farmer directly across road sympathises with us. In fact the individual we have had 'issues' with was renowned for falling out with previous owner of our property on a regular basis. Great! LOL

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11:33 pm »
We rely on our neighbours a lot because they allow us to use their land for nothing - none of them has any use for it.  So we keep them informed and give them home-made jams and the occasional leg of lamb.   Helps a lot with the neighbourhood watch as well.

Congrats - you're about to be a full member!
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 06:26:42 am »
plant heritage pear trees, after 5 years, the trees will be tall enough on pyrus communis rootstock, eventually the bark will be thick enough to deter all animals from chewing them

this is how fruit was farmed before, if you plant pear trees in lines around fields, the fields can be used for other crops and animals/chikens etc
Very interesting...cheers denmylne  :thumbsup:
Q.  do you get a hardy variety type of pear tree?

yup
http://denmylne.wordpress.com/
try black auchen or abernethy

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:50 am »
Thanks for the link denmyine. I shall read it when I have some time, as it looks very interesting. :trophy:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:11 pm »

Steve to be fair I'm not sure whether being a "newcomer" is of relevance? The previous owner had lived here longer and had let our place get into a state of disrepair. Am I as a newcomer wrong to improve it because I am a newcomer? Of course not.

Being a 'newcomer' is of paramount relevance, even though it seems your neighbour is being a bit of a tool.

You have to have bred for at least two generations to be accepted, you know... ;D

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:40 pm »

Steve to be fair I'm not sure whether being a "newcomer" is of relevance? The previous owner had lived here longer and had let our place get into a state of disrepair. Am I as a newcomer wrong to improve it because I am a newcomer? Of course not.

Being a 'newcomer' is of paramount relevance, even though it seems your neighbour is being a bit of a tool.

You have to have bred for at least two generations to be accepted, you know... ;D

Some may say that if you havent left the locality for many generations you are not bred but bordering on inbred, but of course I couldn't possibly comment as its not my place as a newcomer. I am of course joking  ;)

A tool will always be a tool.. this forum is just helpful to vent frustrations every now and again.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 12:17:11 pm »
If it where me I think I would use a few runs of barbed wire, dont like the stuff but its cheap if you get the High Tenstile stuff I bought 200 mtr reels last week for 17.50 plus vat a reel.

But eventually you have to tell these people the facts of life.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »

yup
http://denmylne.wordpress.com/
try black auchen or abernethy
[/quote]

Where can you buy these pears?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS