Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is there a solution?  (Read 11930 times)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Is there a solution?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 10:37:32 am »
Look on the deeds for conformation but if it is your fence , fence it . As for the poplar trees just go to him and explain that you are going to have to go round them and give him the equivelent amount of land in another place. As for legal access to maintain your buildings there is nothing he can do about that, just go for it and if he causes trouble call the police. He sounds like he is preying on your insecurity about tackling these matters, so go and tell him, not his wife . He will probably give in if he knows you wont put up with any of the proverbial excrement he comes out with. As for painting buildings if you can legally do it  then do it, I know some places have rules and regs about colours etc but if you cant find any restrictions then for goodness sake do it. Dont live for him , he sounds he likes the power over you, LIVE FOR YOURSELF.There are folk like that here , when they find out they cant tell you what to do and have received a few 'polite no's' :innocent: then they soon leave you alone.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 10:58:00 pm »
Rylands V. Fletcher in 1880 odd established an area of tort whereby if you have something on your land which may cause damage to others then it is your responsibility to keep it in.  That principle still stands. 

Good fences make good neighbours. Etc. depends on the scale of row you want, but at the very least make detailed notes and photos cos it will happen again. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »
is that the case that set the precedent and all similar cases since have hinged on :farmer:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:41 pm »
If its your ground, fence it in - it is probably unlikely if there was an existing fence 2 feet back he'd want to re-fence it.

Unless I've misunderstood.

Playing devils advocate slightly - but I imagine were it me, Id be wondering why a newcomer has moved and is immediatley arguing over 2 feet of land when there has been a fence in its existing place for years.

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 11:57:18 pm »
yes good fences make good neighbours     but sometimes the boundary is a bit vague  and one side has to bite the bullet and get a proper surveyor in to redefine the boundary    i know of two similar problems and both were caused by ordnance survey marking it wrong on the plans when it all went digital    one they have a gentlemans agreement as to the boundary (this will cause problems in the future)  and the other they had to get it surveyed and written statements from the neighbours      normally o/s are spot on are taken as evidence in court cases before other evidence    but the first case was so way of the mark it was laughable but not for the buyer and the seller :farmer:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 08:45:33 am »
I live next door to the farmer from hell. He has been in court 3 times for neglecting his stock.

Dead animals everywhere and fly struck sheep being eaten alive by maggots the worse possible death I should imagine for an animal.

Last winter, as usuall his cattle got hungry and wrecked the fence between us and I had to replace 85 mtrs and electrify the top, as while I was erecting it they were breaking in another place. Cost around £400.

This week all he has left on his side of the fence are a million thistles and they are trying to break again on another fence.
This time it's 258 mtrs and a double fence with a hedge between. There is now no wire in places as the cattle try to get through for grazing on my fields. My side is fenced well, but it won't take his cattle long to get over it.

I shall have to fence his side as I know he will not do it. He's not the sort of man you want to cross.

Wanna swop neighbours?
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »
Omg castle farm!
That is disgusting!!! That man should be thrown in jail.
I would be going loopy if I lived next to him and see him treat his animals that way
RSPCA no use?
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
Omg castle farm!
That is disgusting!!! That man should be thrown in jail.
I would be going loopy if I lived next to him and see him treat his animals that way
RSPCA no use?
:o  if you get no luck with RSPCA try your local Animal Health Inspector  :furious:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 01:01:10 pm »
Animal health might be interested in having a word since these (if not occasional accidental, swiftly rectified incursions) might well constitute unlawful animal movements onto another holding...:-)))

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »
Depends what system you have but here the Council Wardens get involved initially with lost dogs, mistreated animals and then call in the RSPCA, police etc. where needed, might be worth getting them to come and see especially when there are ill animals  >:(

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 02:52:49 pm »
plant heritage pear trees, after 5 years, the trees will be tall enough on pyrus communis rootstock, eventually the bark will be thick enough to deter all animals from chewing them

this is how fruit was farmed before, if you plant pear trees in lines around fields, the fields can be used for other crops and animals/chikens etc

bangbang

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 06:12:12 pm »
plant heritage pear trees, after 5 years, the trees will be tall enough on pyrus communis rootstock, eventually the bark will be thick enough to deter all animals from chewing them

this is how fruit was farmed before, if you plant pear trees in lines around fields, the fields can be used for other crops and animals/chikens etc
Very interesting...cheers denmylne  :thumbsup:
Q.  do you get a hardy variety type of pear tree?

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
If its your ground, fence it in - it is probably unlikely if there was an existing fence 2 feet back he'd want to re-fence it.

Unless I've misunderstood.

Playing devils advocate slightly - but I imagine were it me, Id be wondering why a newcomer has moved and is immediatley arguing over 2 feet of land when there has been a fence in its existing place for years.

Steve to be fair I'm not sure whether being a "newcomer" is of relevance? The previous owner had lived here longer and had let our place get into a state of disrepair. Am I as a newcomer wrong to improve it because I am a newcomer? Of course not.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »
Though to be fair there has been welcome news. The neighbours wife admitted it is their responsibility in keeping their livestock out of our property and as such will at some point will be putting up sheep netting.

Given they will be doing that I will be happy to spend money on fence posts and timber rails plus stock fencing to re-establish the boundary line as it should be.

Oh And as to the question why do I want the 2 feet back. Well given the neighbour points out the poplar trees are mine and happily chucks fallen small bits of branches back on my land I think I would have them fenced in on my side so at least I can look after my trees.

Agree that good fences make good neighbours.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:54 pm »
Going to law is a last recourse because it's expensive, unpredictable and time consuming.  Keeping good records of what happened, who said what and on what date is good strategy which gives you plenty of ammunition should the worst happen.  Making friends with other neighbours is also very worthwhile and will give you valuable background.

Playing a long game is best.  Good luck
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS