Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Size of freezer for pigs  (Read 6456 times)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Size of freezer for pigs
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:46 am »
Our first two weaners have worked hard over the summer digging over the ground but they are now big enough to retire to the freezer.
However we don’t have a freezer yet and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much space a butchered pig takes up in freezer?  Chest freezers seem to come in about 9, 13, 17 and 24 Cuft and I have been considering 17cuft model as I plan to have lambs next year too but not sure if I am going large enough or too big.

Thanks            Angus

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Size of freezer for pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:19:35 am »
You can't go too big, only too small. How much space your pigs take up will depend on how much processing you do. Boned out joints take a lot less room than whole legs for example.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:12 am »
Get the biggest freezer you can. Keeping pigs is addictive and if friends and family get a taste then they might want some in future. We have just packed out our John Lewis chest freezer with pork and Hogget. Then some bits and pieces of pork from our " bacon pigs" is taking up a drawer in another freezer! And we still have the bacon from 2 large blacks to put somewhere! :o :o

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:00 am »
Echo what Hughsey says, bigger the better if you can keep it full all year.
I have a big Phillips up right (don't ask me the size i'm a girl  :innocent:  its as tall as me and about 4ft wide) and it JUST holds one porker and sausages so aim big if you've two to get in.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:39 pm »
Don't forget when getting a freezer you want to consider where you store it, as domestic freezer aren't as good when kept in an out house. Also a chest freezer is more economical than an upright freezer although an upfright freezer is easier to sort out. 

We use a Vestfrost

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »
Chest freezer is the way we will go, stored in a stone outbuilding.  We are in NE Scotland so doesn't get hot in there even in the middle of summer.
We have been looking at the vestfrost range too, light commercial seems to make more sense and cheaper than domestic models.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:17 am »
Don't know if this picture might help. This is a whole Oxford Sandy & Black, butchered into joints and chops, but not boned. She was about 65kg deadweight at about 8 months old - bigger than I would normally take Tamworths to.

I've got two 12ft Vestfrost chest freezers - bought one full price for about £450, I think, and the other on eBay for about £50. Also got an upright, about 4ft tall - again off eBay, for about £30.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS