Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs ready for slaughter - need advice  (Read 9078 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Pigs ready for slaughter - need advice
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:20 am »
How will people who haven't got a computer or any computer knowledge cope?
Badly !

I had a meeting with Defra a while ago to try and put the case for better tolerance for those without PC's who sell weaners regularly, particularly at wekends.

Defra's eventual resposne was "If these particular types of sales are a regular part of a producers business it is not unreasonable to expect them to invest in the necessary IT to comply with the legislation"

Totally ignores that many of these people are salt of the earth farmers, who are simply not IT literate people.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:07 am »
Oaklands I don't think that DEFRAs attitude is unreasonable, we live in the computer age so people will have to like it or lump it.  :sofa:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:56 am »
Oaklands I don't think that DEFRAs attitude is unreasonable, we live in the computer age so people will have to like it or lump it.  :sofa:

Hmm!! How would you feel if you were a 70 year old with the occasional litter of weaners to sell or the odd porker going to the butcher, just to keep in touch with your farming roots, BB? Or is it " Shove over, oldies, us young thrusters fresh from the city (who know it all ::) ) are taking over"

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »
Sylvia you are using a computer now it is no more difficult doing movements on line than coming on here. My Dad was 82 when he died and loved being on his computer so lets not go down the I'm old I can't do it route. :eyelashes:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 01:17:20 pm »
Doesn't just apply to "older" people - many people are unable to use a computer for all sorts of reasons.

I don't think that animal ownership should require computer ownership, or that those without computers should be treated as second class citizens, with much tighter restrictions on ability to move animals.

And why should someone who has no need of a computer have to buy one just because they want to keep pigs? 

PS loved the sofa :D

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:26:32 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »
BB, yes, I can use a computer and will have no trouble doing forms on-line. It's the old folk who have no understanding of modern technology I was talking about. There are  folk who can't read 'nor write properly and have had to rely on the bloke at the abattoir to fill in their papers. What will they do? And why should they be worried to death just to make things easier for DEFRA, Trading Standards etc.
By the way, I'm not 70 for a fair few years yet :o  or at least not for a few ;)  But I do know some dear old farmers who struggle to understand all the new rulings let alone the need for lessons in computers. Do you think they should just give up?

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 06:40:24 pm »
No it is important that they don't just give up but defra aren't farmers they are just office workers  ::)

But I'm sure even small holders and farmers know someone who can operate a computer that will do a deal for a few bacon sandwiches  :hungry:

kazzy10

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 03:56:24 pm »
all movement for pigs is done online now... Metal tags are better as less chance of coming out when the carcass is being cleaned etc but plastic are fine along with a slapmark. Tags & slapmark can usually be purchased via feed store places... im not sure where you are based. Cornwall farmers type places or mole valley can help??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS