Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Footbathing  (Read 18639 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Footbathing
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:50 pm »
Unfortunately a few of my sheep are suffering from the beginning of scald.  Not having a HUGE flock but having 45 to treat I think a footbath may be an easier and more effective method than spraying each foot with a topical spray and holding it in the air til it dries. However, foot baths are ridiculously expensive for a bit of plastic moulding and I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas for a cheaper version that I can buy relatively easily.
Also, has anyone got any preferences on what to use i.e formalin and copper sulphate mix etc etc
thank ewe all
lisa x
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

RichStaffs

• Joined May 2012
  • Stafford
Re: Footbathing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:58 pm »
Formalin tends to make the hoof extremely hard, and if there is a bit of footrot already in the foot it can seal it in. Trimming is then made difficult by the very hard foot. It will also make your eyes sting, never mind the sheep.
I use zinc sulphate powder with a squirt of washing up liquid in it. Apparently this helps it stick to the feet.
I would think any sort of shallow container could be used, I use two footbaths in tandem, the first just water to clean the feet, then the next with the treatment in. They are then stood on clean concrete until dry.
Hope this is of use.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »
Rich
Oh no, I don't want any crappy horrible chemicals stinging my girls eyes... zinc sulphate sounds much better. What solution strength?
Idea of water bath followed by chemical bath is genius. Will defo pinch that idea. And the fairy liquid tip!
I can't picture any large trough type things I could purchase...I have a blank mind! I will keep thinking!
Thanks for the great tips
Lisa:

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
How about children's sand pit containers? It might just be big enough to have one sheep standing in it  :)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:24:33 pm »
oooh... that's an idea... as long as i can 'race' them all through!!! I will look into those!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:32:39 pm »
How about a couple of long thick planks of wood and a thick tarpaulin sheet? Obviously fill in the ends and hurdles on top of the wood along side? Hmmm, can see it in my head  :thinking: not sure if its coming across in the written form though!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:46:37 pm »
Ooh... I can kinda see it..... two long planks at the side..... some shallow plank 'ends' to keep it rigid and so sheep can trot out easily but also to allow a certain depth of 'formula' and a thick tarpaulin fitted inside... using felt tacks maybe??????

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:48:52 pm »
Hmmm.... just thought... don't want girls slipping and also doesn't it need grooves to open cleats for maximum penetration????

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:26 pm »
A little sand in the bottom maybe? And it should be deep enough to cover the feet anyway. Although by the time you've bought a tarpaulin, wood, sand etc you could probably have paid for a proper one  :excited:
Plan B -  borrow one?  :innocent:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »
Sbom.... wierd you put that when you did.... I was thinking exactly the same about the cost to make one and was just racking my brains who i could beg to load one from! LOL

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:18 pm »
To give the best penetration of the bath solution you really should have a bath with ribs in the bottom to spread the hoofs apart - that is why the commercially available baths are more expensive - as they are not a smooth bottomed trough.

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 11:55:11 pm »
Or you could not bother and footvax them.

Personally, Id cull for feet - but if its your whole flock that may be a bit drastic.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:25:31 am »
Or you could not bother and footvax them.

Personally, Id cull for feet - but if its your whole flock that may be a bit drastic.
I am thinking of footvaxing them.
I don;t normally get foot problems... even with the lowland commercials... but this years constant wet weather and soggy soil and constant flushing on grass making them on longer blades than normal has taken its toll. Even the Shetlands are suffering a little!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
Does footvax give them protection against scald?  I thought scald was a different organism; it often leads to footrot, I know, so footvax is quite possibly a good precaution, but I'm not sure it'll help clear up the underlying scald.

You'll improve the scald if you can put lime down where they congregate - around troughs for instance, gateways, etc.  And turn off the rain and get the ground to dry up...  ::)

We've discussed using formalin (trot them through a 2% solution - that won't harden their feet too much; but you may need to repeat every 2-3 weeks while it remains wet underfoot) and zinc sulphate (they must stand in it for some minutes) before; the washing up liquid is a new one on me, I'll try that sometime!  And yes, the cleaner their feet are before entering the bath, the more effective the bath will be, so a 'prewash' is a great idea if you can do it..  If you can have them stand around on cement for 30-60 mins afterwards it'll be more effective.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »
I think footvax does scald too, but I dont have any handy to check.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS