Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to this.... but excited by the enthusiasm shown to helping newcomers! :)  (Read 4306 times)

BigManBlack

• Joined Aug 2012
Hi, my name is Chris Black and my family own a 500 acre hill farm 25 miles west of Glasgow on the outskirts of Helensburgh.  It is currently let out to a local farmer who runs cattle on parts of it and takes the silage off it each year.  I have six pet micro pigs who get spoiled rotten and lead a life of luxury having a section of the byre to sleep in (and hide in when its miserable weather!) and a half acre field to play out in and graze when the weather is favourable.  They are also frequently taken for walks throughout the farm.  I hope to buy some Tamworth sows to restart our business.  I plan to outdoor rear them in a wooded area with the use of electric fencing.  I have indoor space that could be converted to suit farrowing but might let them just get on with it in their outdoor shelter, the way nature intended! Any advice on keeping these beautiful ginger beasties or websites that could help me would be massively appreciated! Also if anyone knows of any well-established herds around my area where I could get my stock from that'd also be much appreciated.  Many thanks for any replies x

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
 :wave:  from  :sunshine:  Bala North Wales!  Good luck with the pigs, I've only had one lot of saddlebacks so far and enjoyed them a lot too.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Welcome from a  :sunshine: (makes a change) Camarthenshire  :wave:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
 :wave:   Hi from  :sunshine: Shropshire.  I don't know much about pigs (except that I like them) but someone on here is bound to.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
If you want to know about pigs in Scotland speak to Happy Hippy or Robert & Lillian Waddell, they'll point you in the right direction. Welcome from a fast getting dark off to bottle feed little rarfy pig, North Yorkshire GOS keeper!
Oink Oink
Mandy  :pig:

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
Welcome  :wave:
I've had 1 go of GOS and they were so much fun! Looking forward to getting round 2 in the spring.
Have fun with it!
PS any pics of fully grown micros?
PSS 500 acres  :o that could be ALOT of piggies!  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Hi there and welcome from Worcestershire    :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Hello and welcome from  :raining: :sunshine: Carnoustie!

Good luck with the pigs and we'll look forward to getting to know you, getting to know all about you la la la la.

HappyHippy

Hello from me in Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire  :wave: We used to go to Helensburgh a lot, there was a really good bait shop there - best worms in Scotland according to my dad, the fisherman  :D

There's loads of info out there  ;) The TAS boards are good, there's the Tamworth breeders club website http://www.tamworthbreedersclub.co.uk/, the Scottish Pig Keepers websitehttp://scottishpigs.co.uk/, Gloucestershire Old Spot club website has excellent advice too http://www.oldspots.org.uk/ :thumbsup:

There are loads of books out there too, the best one I've read lately is the Haynes Pig Manual - really comprehensive, but Oaklands pigs does one too (and if Robin wants to send me a copy I'll review it fully for him  ;) ;D)

There are breeders dotted all over Scotland, but closest to you would be the museum of rural life in East Kilbride, Palacerigg country Park in Cumbernauld and Lillian & Robert over in Avonbridge (just off the top of my head) but Lillian is Tamworth breeders club Scottish rep, so she'll keep you right.

Lookforward to hearing more about how you're getting on
Karen

lill

• Joined May 2011
H i and welcome to the forum  :wave:

robert waddell

hello from Lillian's other half       it depends on what you want  pedigree ones show pigs that would win or just ordinary ones that could be anything and only have a ginger tinge to them

your farm Will be on the right hand side of the road heading north   used to go a lot to Abe's farm at coulport    and know tony the tree surgeon :farmer:

BigManBlack

• Joined Aug 2012
Thanks everyone! ;D ;D Yeah Robert, Abe farms over the hill that we look over towards, I was at school with one of his boys actually! Got a delivery this morning and the driver mentioned there is someone in Little Rahane with pigs??? Lillian private msgd me so will be in touch soon. Karen, yeah that wee shop has a pretty good thing going I think. In fact I may pop into see him, might try start a wormery ??? (if thats what a worm farm is even called!) Thanks again

PS Happy Hippy, loving the name!!   :)   :farmer: :farmer:

robert waddell

i think that could be a friend of Graeme ballantine    if it is the same one he was trying to get out of pigs    he did not realise how quick they could multiply :farmer:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
  :wave: Hello and welcome from  :raining: Durham

HappyHippy

Karen, yeah that wee shop has a pretty good thing going I think. In fact I may pop into see him, might try start a wormery ??? (if thats what a worm farm is even called!) Thanks again

PS Happy Hippy, loving the name!!   :)   :farmer: :farmer:
If you happened to be free on Sunday the 30th of September you should come to the Smallholder Festival in Forfar  ;) Zerowaste Scotland will be there talking about composting and wormeries - you'll get all the info you need  :thumbsup:
Altenatively, if you're ever passing Lesmahagow, you're welcome to come and talk to my dad about his - it was doing well til the lid blew off and they drowned (he'd forgotten drainage holes)  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS