Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chain Saw on a pole/rod  (Read 4090 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Chain Saw on a pole/rod
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »
We had a tree services guy in to chop some enormous trees - he also trimmed the lower branches from some even bigger ones with a chain saw on a pole (not sure of the technical name).  OH has a normal chain saw but this one would be so so handy for us, we have a lot of clearing to do along our river bank that would mean OH wouldn't have to get in the river in his waders and do it.

Please don't reply about courses and safety issues!  Just looking for anyone with experience / recommendations for one, many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
Re: Chain Saw on a pole/rod
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:43 pm »
My brother in law is a landscape gardener and uses Stihl stuff.  It's one engine and loads of different attachments including a long reach chainsaw (and it even works with an extra extension pole, but he can hardly lift it!

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/KombiSystem/01482/KombiTools.aspx

He swears by it, and always keeps an eye out for it second hand...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:45:54 pm »
Thanks SB!  will get OH to check that one out when he comes in.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
type in tree surgeons chainsaws on goggle on the right hand side there is details second one down is what i think you want
on the safety issue don't look at the reports on the left hand side

you may need to provide a tree surgeons certificate to get one as is the case with the top handle saws :farmer:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:16:18 pm »
Thanks both, am checking them out.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »
I tried to buy an attachment for my Stihl hedge trimmer and they wouldn't sell one to me without a certificate of compitancy. Bought a Silky saw on a pole instead. 6 metres and probably just as quick, without the noise and risk. Fantastic tool -get one of those Goosepimple.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »
Hi GP,
I've got the Stihl KM56 kombi tool with the pole pruner (KM-HT) and scrub cutter (KM-FH).[size=78%] [/size] :thumbsup:
to be honest its a cracking piece of kit, wouldn't be without it. if funds allow get the larger engine size, the scrub cutter can sometimes struggle.
Jon
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS