Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat hoof issues  (Read 3679 times)

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
Goat hoof issues
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »
Hi all, I know this thread probably appears somewhere on this forum, but I thought I would post my concerns afresh. I took ownership of 2 rescued goats (I think they are Saanen) earlier this year. They looked emaciated and were housed in a brick building 10'x10'. Their tags in their ears were causing them pain and discomfort, and the sores around the ears were disgusting, and very infected. We were told that the hooves had been clipped, they had been wormed and everything was fine.

We brought them home and let them free in the pasture (1 acre, all to themselves - well 3 sheep too). They were like 2 spring lambs. Since they came to us, we have had to remove both their tags and treat the wounds, their hooves were in a terrible state, so I bought a pair of hoof shears and gradually bit by bit (mm by mm) started to take the hooves down. The hard outer shell had all grown under and was in a bad way.

Today they look like different animals, they have loads of nettles, brambles, thistles and hedgerows to munch on. Their coats look better, they have put on loads of weight (maybe too much), and they really seem happy.

Although a few days ago, I noticed Billy (yes I know very original), starting to go down on his knees to eat the grass, something I haven't seen him do before. On closer inspection of his from hooves, within the last few days, they seem to have become very bad. It seems like the spongy centre of the hoof is disintegrating. I don't think I have cut the hooves down to far, as the height of them is still about 2.5".

Can someone please give me some guidance or advice? He is still eating well, and walking around, although he may have a slight limp.

I would appreciate any help on how high the hooves should be?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Goat hoof issues
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »
TBPH I'm not sure on a measurement but don't worry - your on the right track - overgrown hoofs can take a while to get into shape again - you've trimmed. Now there's some spongy bits so I would spray with Teramyclin (spelling not my strong point) but the one you get from the vet - this will kill any foot rot in there. I do this quite often on my Billy as he's not got great feet and seems effected by the damp more than anyone else - girls never - sheep a bit. As to kneeling it could be associated with his feet being trimmed but it had to be done so I would continue to progress forward till he's in good nick.

Well done for giving them a loving home - have fun
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:39:31 pm »
Could you put up a pic of these hooves....2.5" seems an awful lot.     I think the sole of the foot has gone cheesy which will need to be pared back.
By the way the average foot is usually only 1 - 1.5".       It can take a long time to get a foot tht has been bad to look right.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:53:11 pm »
With this you have to just trim a wee bit every week or so just to keep on top of it - get an antibiotic from the vet and this will help very quickly. 

You should do your goats feet about once a month to 6 weeks theoretically but with something like this you have to keep on top of it for a month until it starts to sort itself out. That's annoying for the goat but not so much as being in pain. 

We had a goat who kept having a re-curring problem like this and it would come back a month or so after the antibiotic.  Eventually we went back to the vet and said we must be doing something wrong as we just couldn't crack it.  We weren't sure if we were being confident enough with the trimming or too confident.  In the end he gave us a 3 x Engymycin injections to give her, one every 5 days.  It cracked it brilliantly and she (we) have never had a problem since, her hooves now look great.

Always spray each foot at every trimming even if it looks ok.  I wish I had one of those goat stands / crush that most of the goat owners seem to have on here when this was happening - would have been more tolerable for the goat.

Good luck, such things are always a bit stressful aren't they.  You sound like you are doing a brilliant job and they are such lucky goats to have found a caring owner.  It will come right.  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:35 pm »
no idea with the hooves but just wanted to say WELL DONE YOU for caring so much for your goats and bringing them back to their happy healthy selves!  :thumbsup:

people who rescue animals deserve a  :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »
no idea with the hooves but just wanted to say WELL DONE YOU for caring so much for your goats and bringing them back to their happy healthy selves!  :thumbsup:

people who rescue animals deserve a  :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Exactly what I was about to say.  Well done.   :hug:

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 07:12:50 am »
Hi all, thanks for the words of encouragement, I will endeavour to take some photos of the goats and their hooves later today and post tonight hopefully (If they'll let me).

I should have mentioned that their both castrated males.

They are doing a fantastic job of keeping down the weeds, and I am constatnly amazed at just what they'll eat - eye watering stuff!!

Tim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS