Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LB new mum with snout bleed  (Read 5963 times)

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
LB new mum with snout bleed
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »
Hi all,
Has anyone experienced the above?  Our LB gilt had her litter last night (7 cuties) but this afternoon started with a severe nose bleed out of one nostril.  The amount of blood is immense and obviously worrying.  It's still dripping now but thankfully no gushing although she passed a large, long clot earlier.
She's eating, drinking and reactive if the piglets squeal, and on the vets advice she's been given antibot's and anti-inflam's, but we're obviously concerned we'll loose her.  We've already put a tray of formula in with the piglets to get them drinking of other sources should we loose her, but it doesn't bare thinking about.
Has anyone experienced such a thing, or got any ideas, suggestions?
Would love to hear from anyone.

Thanks
Steph

robert waddell

Re: LB new mum with snout bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:52:10 pm »
it could  be ryanitus  (spelling for all the perfectionists) :farmer:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:54:34 pm »
This could be a long shot as I have no experience with pigs  :innocent: but would it be worth asking the vet about an injection of vitamin k. It is used in other species and humans if there is a bleeding problem or likely problem.

This might help with the bleeding but there must also be an underlying reason. Hopefully somebody with waaaay more knowledge than me will give better advice.

Hope it is sorted soon  :fc:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:56:45 pm by Mammyshaz »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:45 pm »
Oh theres a response: rhinitis may be the cause. Still worth asking vit k perhaps??

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:17 am »
Or, could she maybe have a weak blood vessel in her nose and all the heaving and shoving of labour caused it to burst. Happens in humans. Also happens in humans if the air pressure is heavy. Hope she's o.k. :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:19:37 am »
Or, could she maybe have a weak blood vessel in her nose and all the heaving and shoving of labour caused it to burst. Happens in humans. Also happens in humans if the air pressure is heavy. Hope she's o.k. :)
Agree with Sylvia this could be a very likely cause, the weather is so humid at present make sure she's cool, a wet bath towel draped across her shoulders & back will help cool her down if she feels hot. Hope she's ok and let us know how she goes on.
Besest Mandy  :pig: :fc:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
nose bleeds can be quite alarming as i suffer from them as well
is her snout twisted when you look directly at her    this is a sign of rhinitis     
has she been getting a proper diet  IE proper pig nuts
has she access to a wallow
have you a rat problem  and poisoning them (she could have eaten a dead or dying rat) :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:13:17 pm »
have you a rat problem  and poisoning them (she could have eaten a dead or dying rat) :farmer:

would warfarin affect the appearance of blood? ie would it actually look thinner?  ???  just wondering.

i would imagine , just coming out of one nostril would mean its quite localised and not coming from further down.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »
yes warfarin thins the blood  that is how it killed the rats     the amount that is required to kill a rat should not affect a pig as in death       people are prescribed warfarin      one nostril is a nose bleed it has to be pretty bad to come out both nostrils   although i have had it do this
an update on the pig would be good :farmer:

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »
Soz, to make things more stressful my OH has been away all wkend learning to dart and tranqualise animals!

So.....friday daytime no bleeding, but by the evening she'd started a small one. Stopped pretty quickly and I managed to get some food down her by holding handfuls in front of her.

Come yesterday morning it had started again, not as bad as first day but worse than the night before. She also went off food and drink and was reluctant to move much. Went out and bought loads of green veg as she's bound to be low in iron plus apples and other nice fruit to try to tempt her to eat. Also tried apple juice in her water, something I'd read on TAS a while back but no joy. Piglets still trying to suckle but mum not that bothered so more formula down.

I also spoke to vet who said to give more antibiotic and anti inflams. Said to try to cool her down due to the weather (her temp is fine) so put wet towels on her (we'd brought her in the farrow as she's a new
Mum). He said she's possibly in a bit of shock from blood loss and labour.

Today still no eating or drinking in front of us so we got the hose pipe on her and she enjoyed that. It also made her wee and poo (which unsurprising looks dry) a lot, so maybe she's been drinking a bit although not enough. Bit more mobile but not much.

OH back tonight so we've given her and all piglets iron injections (plus a multi vit for mum) and we'll see how she is tomorrow.

Someone wondered if she had high blood pressure hence the initial bleed, but who knows? She was brought in a couple of weeks before she farrowed and nowhere nr rat poison.  Don't think the weather has helped though.

Sorry for the epic email but thank you for all your thoughts, advice and suggestions, and let's see what tomorrow brings.

Steph

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:50 am »
Just a quick update. Over the last couple of days the pighas started to eat and drink, however she seems to be comfort eating! She's not at all interested in her pig nuts or iron-rich green veg that was bought for her, but strawberries and tomatoes......can't get enough of them! Thankfully we live in a village that has a fruit farm selling straw-,rasp- & blue-berries to supermarkets and we can have the waste for free or seconds cheaply! It's a start though and that's all that matters. The piglets are doing well but we're still topping up with formula and I guess we will continue to do for the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guess we'll never know if the cause was weather/labour & a weak blood vessel or anything else, but all comments were very gratefully received at a point where I was very worried.

Steph. :-)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:38:59 am »
Glad she's doing better now. Have a lovely picture in my head of her lying in the straw and being fed strawberries and tomatoes by hand!   ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:48:57 am »
Glad she's doing better now. Have a lovely picture in my head of her lying in the straw and being fed strawberries and tomatoes by hand!   ;D

Ditto  ;D :thumbsup:
At least she's eating something and having had meds at least you know you're doing all you can for her.  :fc:
Mandy  :pig:

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:37 pm »
Considering this is a forum where most don't know each other, you've definitely got me sussed! ;-) Yes I was in there hand feeding :-D Hahaha

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 12:46:08 pm »
even the supposed grumpy posters hand feed there pigs      well they cost a lot of money and if they kick the bucket   it is a dead loss :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS