Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please! Pig off her food & wont leave arc...  (Read 2109 times)

kazzy10

• Joined Aug 2012
Help please! Pig off her food & wont leave arc...
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:52:29 pm »
Hi. i am new on here but i dont know if anyone can help? We set up our new pig business last year & have been doing very well. Although now we have a poorly sow ( she is about 15months old) She had a litter 10week ago which we weaned from her abot 2weeks ago... she was abit sad at first but seemed fine,was in fresh grass etc & put back with our boar who is younger than her but he has served all of our other young sows well..

Now (well for the past few days- week) she hasnt been wanting to leave the arc, so we have been feeding her in there & the boar in the trough. He seems his usual merry self. 'Peppa' our sow for the past couple of days though isnt keen on eating, she came out earlier looked around & went back in & went sleep. Shes hard of hearing also so when she is at the back of the arc sleeping deeply she isnt easy to wake! I woke her up & she drank from a bucket of water i put there. We are really worried..... SHe seems down & not happy. EVen though 2weeks have gone by (she onyl had 3 piglets via AI) could she be missing them or is it something more serious? All of our others seem fine.... Please help. thankyou muchly.  :sunshine:

robert waddell

Re: Help please! Pig off her food & wont leave arc...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:03:17 pm »
take her temp  first  pigs are the nearest animal to humans so it could be depression :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »
Check if she's running a temperature (38.5-39.3 is considered normal) it could be that she's got a touch of mastitus or infection that's putting her off her food, so rule that out first. It could just be that she's missing her piglets (though I've never noticed any of mine do that for longer than 2 or 3 days - they're normally quite relieved to get peace from them  :D)
Has she been served by the boar yet ? When mine are suffering 'seperation anxiety' that seems to help take their minds off it  ;)  :innocent: Almost as if it re-sets their biological clock or summit.
Poor girl, hope she's better soon - worth trying to tempt her out of the ark with melon, apples and other tasty treats too  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:39:04 am »
Hi agree with what robert & HH said, most important check her temperature NOW.
It should be 38.8 deg C. Also check her udder it should have gone by now if she was weaned two weeks ago, but if it feels hot or lumpy then mastitis would be my diagnosis in which case you need to get a mega dose of antibiotics into her from the vet ASAP. If her temp is below the norm this is also a worry and could be blood poisioning from any cuts or nicks giving entry to bacteria, piglets teeth are notorious for casuing thee again antibiotics must be given.
HTH let us know how you get on.
Mandy  :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:04:07 pm »
Kazzy hows your pig doing?
 :fc:  it was something & nothing.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS