Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat Problems  (Read 11039 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Goat Problems
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 04:07:59 pm »
Don't suppose it's secondary dermatitis?  I have that and was prescribed a steroid cream - betnovate - but the animal version used to be called vetsovate - it was so effective for just about anything that we used to call it 'magic cream'  Now totally free of dermatitis, except a flare up occasionally then the cream goes back on and it's gone again.  Maybe worth mentioning to your vet, handy stuff to have around anyway.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 04:17:49 pm »
I will keep that in mind and mention to the vet, thanks.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 08:58:16 pm »
Glad to hear things are working out well!

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
I have posted before that one of my Pygmy Goats has a very sore/dry/cracked nose and mouth at this time of the year. Well, the vet and a goat breeder friend tend to think that he may be allergic to the sun. The vet prescribed a cream to rub onto the area and although it seems to help it is not clearing it up. The area now looks very sore and he must be unhappy with all that is going on, plus he hates getting the cream slapped on him every day. Last night when I was out doing their feet I noticed that he is also very "scabby", red and "raw" on lots of his legs and tummy. He has been treated twice recently with "spot on" and I have to say he looks rough.

He is 2 years old and almost pure white (he has a tiny black spot on his side). I am getting the vet out today to see what can be done for him, does any one recognise these symptoms

James
it sounds more like he has a goat version of sweet-itch! if its just sunburn you could use kids suncream
it could be something as simple as he is allergic to a certain weed or meadow flower and that contact with it causes blisters/scabs/sores

also as regards infection due to tags try giving them a small dose of penicillin when they are first tagged and then again a few days later, you might have to withdraw any milk/ meat from human consumtion for a  short while though but i dont know the current uk regs, its less strict over here
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS