Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat Problems  (Read 11035 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Goat Problems
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:36 am »
I have posted before that one of my Pygmy Goats has a very sore/dry/cracked nose and mouth at this time of the year. Well, the vet and a goat breeder friend tend to think that he may be allergic to the sun. The vet prescribed a cream to rub onto the area and although it seems to help it is not clearing it up. The area now looks very sore and he must be unhappy with all that is going on, plus he hates getting the cream slapped on him every day. Last night when I was out doing their feet I noticed that he is also very "scabby", red and "raw" on lots of his legs and tummy. He has been treated twice recently with "spot on" and I have to say he looks rough.

He is 2 years old and almost pure white (he has a tiny black spot on his side). I am getting the vet out today to see what can be done for him, does any one recognise these symptoms?

Thanks

James

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Goat Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:05 am »
I now nothing about goats and might be totally unrealated but my dog used to get a seconard infection from fleas.

I used to treat him with the dog wash (when i got him he was in a real bad state) (the not so cheap stuff of sainsbury possible doc martin ever two days, he would be stratching from the fleas and open up the wounds then get infections in them then the dog wash would agrevate him even more.

Then I swapped to a different 'organic/herbal' stuff from the local pet shop which has oat in it and it healled him up.

Sorry for rambling what am saying has the goat picked up an infection from have the sores (from the 'sun burn')

Linz

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:12:34 am »
Thanks Linz, will let you know what the vet says. The poor wee man looks very sore, I just hope we can get to the bottom of it this time. On another note my 8 week old Toggenburg kid (Fred) has just ripped his ear after sticking his head through a fence and pulled out his ear tag. I just wish they would stop tagging when the animals are purely to be kept as pets. There was a lot of blood at the time, washed it with warm water and have left to clot, I will ask the vet to check when he/she is here. I think these tags cause unnecessary distress/pain.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:46 am »
Oh James, sorry to hear about Fred. I hate ear tags, they're just a nonsense for goats. We haven't had any of ours rip their ears yet, but they infect and have needed cut out. Last years kid used to put her head through the fence and was petrified to bring it back out because she knew her ears were sore because her tags had infected. Can you take some pictures of his ear for me? Charlie Peck who is the health and welfare committee member for the British Goat Society has been collating these for the last few years to build evidence against why goats shouldn't be ear tagged. I'll forward them onto Charlie.

About the pygmy, have you tried Camrosa ointment? I haven't myself, but they advertise in the British Goat Society and it looks effective from the advert....  http://www.camrosa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=101

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:55:26 am »
Thanks for the info Beth, I will look into it.

The vet has just been and he is happy with Fred's ear but said just to monitor it on a daily basis. I will get some pics to you later, I think it doesn't look as though it has been ripped, he did get a fright though. He also had a look at Rosie for us re her milking problem. She was not happy at us touching her underneath but he did take some milk off her and he said it was "coming freely" and not hurting her so he was confidant it was caused due to the kids being here and she may even be having a false pregnancy. Again he said to monitor it and to cut down on her food for the time being as obviously the more she eats the more milk she produces.

Re Harry - he still thinks it is photosynthetic and could go down the lines of skin scrapes but thinks the cost of that is too high and there is a probability that the results won't give the answer. He got an injection today and will get another for the next 2 days. We have to keep applying the Flamazine and bath him in an anti biotic liquid he has given us. The ideal solution would be not to let him out during day light hours - this would drive him mental but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. It is such a worry when such a great summer is forecast.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:59:16 pm »
I know it's totally differnt but we had a wee pup with a heart condition and couldn't keep herself warm even in summer - we got a wee coat for her and she was fine.  Could you maybe get a wee white/reflective coat for him so at least his back and chest would be protected?  Someone good at sewing could run one up.  I have an aunt in Aberdeenshire who is good at that, she made a double sided coat in fleece/perkertex for my working dog.  She is elderly so wouldn't be able to help this time but you probably know someone nearby
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:42:18 pm »
Thanks Annie

The problem is even with a coat the sun would find a "weak" spot the vet says and burn it's way through that so the back of his legs or his head would be the target (just as his nose is the worst just now). I am hoping that these injections, the cream and the bath will be sufficient just now. There is no way he would have any quality of life, in my opinion, being locked up all day. Like wise there would be no possibility of putting him to sleep just to make it easier for me.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:05:25 pm »
on the coat side,

A while back some company did a range of cloths for kids that where 'sun proof' could you get hold of this material? to make the goat a second skin?
A goat leotard (a gotard)lol

Linz

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:46:56 pm »
Hi,
 Just read your thread, whilst I haven't experienced anything similar, could I suggest you try smearing the infected areas with udder cream, I find it a fantastic all round treatment for knocks and scrapes on any animal and even use it on myself if i have a sore spot. A old farmer friend recommended it many years ago and I can only say it works for me - hope this helps

regards Farmer

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:08:32 pm »
Thanks Farmer, he has now finished his course of injections and he has responded quite well. Every morning he is getting Factor 50 spalled on his nose and at night he gets the antiseptic cream on. I may just try your udder cream if we don't get the results we hope for.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:07:00 pm »
Both udder cream and Camarosa are brilliant.  If my children get sunburnt (both red haired with pale skin) I use the juice from my Aloe plant - Cut a leaf off and then cut it lengthways and use the jelly that's inside.  It has very little smell, has high healing and soothing properties and can even reduce signs of ageing!!  I use my Aloe alot so don't have a plant I can send you, but I know someone who may have a spare one (they reproduce fairly quickly).  If you would like one let me know.  Good luck!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:17 pm »
Both udder cream and Camarosa are brilliant.  If my children get sunburnt (both red haired with pale skin) I use the juice from my Aloe plant - Cut a leaf off and then cut it lengthways and use the jelly that's inside.  It has very little smell, has high healing and soothing properties and can even reduce signs of ageing!!  I use my Aloe alot so don't have a plant I can send you, but I know someone who may have a spare one (they reproduce fairly quickly).  If you would like one let me know.  Good luck!

Thank you Mirimiran

I am waiting for a good dry, sunny day to get them all bathed with the anti biotic lotion that the vet supplied. If done on a nice day they can run about and dry themselves off. The injections have helped clear his sore nose up a bit but not 100% I'm afraid. Although the weather still isn't good there is enough sunlight to keep aggrevating his skin. His face looks so uncomfortable it's a shame.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »
Poor wee thing.  Having had very bad sunburn once in Sumatra where I blistered and peeled twice I can fully sympathise - it was by far the most painful thing I have ever gone through - childbirth was a doddle in comparison!!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:04 am »
Just a thought.....Goats are often attacked by mange mites....legs are a very common place to get this and also faces.....have you had a scrape done to eliminate this as a possibility?

Years ago we used to be able to get a nice 'wash' to clear it up but no longer licenced!

Also wondered if your hay contains ragwort....or your grazing, as it causes a build up of problems when eaten and often the first to show in goats and horses is photosensitivity!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 04:01:13 pm »
UPDATE

Harry's nose has really come on leaps and bounds. After the injections from the vet, the Factor 50 slapped on every day and medicated baths things have improved. His skin is still not perfect but the soreness and redness has gone. He seems a lot happier in himself too which is good.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS