Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: scottish abattoir required for large sow  (Read 3024 times)

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
scottish abattoir required for large sow
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:55:35 am »
We have a 3 year old sow who I need to get rid of.  The problem is that Robertsons of Adrossan who we usually use will only take pigs up to 110kg.  I have estimated her weight with a measuring tape and think that she is about 220kgs.  Any ideas where she can go?  Apparently there is a lorry that goes down to Essex on a weekly trip and she can go on this and is sold from there, however this goes against all our principles.
Incidentally the reason she is going is that she has eaten her last two litters at birth!

Any ideas?

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
Re: scottish abattoir required for large sow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:32:05 am »
Have heard that Dingwall don't have a weight limit. Worth giving them a call?
Rgds
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:58 am »
Thank you, its a bit far but worth trying?  Anyone else?

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:56 am »
I AM ASSUMING IF YOU ARE USING ROBERTSONS YOU ARE IN THE SOUTH WEST   wishaw used to do them   and i understand shotts were going to do them  dunblane were also going to do them  st andrews do do them but that is an awful trek    yes there is several lorries go down to chele in Essex but you have to take your sow to meet the lorry they don't go far from the m74 esp for one sow  if this is what you want pm me for contact details :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:21:44 am »
Shotts abattoir will take your big sow, they put them through on the cattle lines. They charge more than a standard kill fee, but if it saves shipping them hundreds of miles - it's a small price to pay  ;)
We use them for all our pigs now and can't fault them (and I'm extra picky  ::) :innocent:) Thursday is pig day normally, but phone and book them in with Jessie in advance  :thumbsup: The number for the office is 01501 820329.
HTH
Karen

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »
Sorry Debbie, didn't realise you were all the way down there. not been active on TAS much so don't really know where people are.
rgds
Sskye.
Rgds
Sskye

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »
Thanks folks for your replies, girl now heading to Shotts next  week with a companion.
Debbie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS