Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grub  (Read 4543 times)

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
Grub
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:33 am »
good morning all.wonder if any of you could help me?im looking into changing my feed supplies and was just wondering does anyone know anything about heygates feed please and how much do you pay by the bag or per kilo please?many thanks again matt and jenn x

chickenfeed

Re: Grub
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:03:13 am »
we have been on heygates feed for some time now happy with quality and delivery service.
we buy bagged feed by the ton and they deliver free we save around £1 per bag by doing this compared to buying from the feed merchant you will have to ring them for prices as it may vary across the country (we are in the next county to them)

they do a range of pig feed from creep through to finisher
where abouts are you

Ollies Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:54:43 pm »
We have been using Heygates breeding sow nuts for a couple of years now and are more than happy with the quality of the feed. Similar to chickenfeed, we also buy the bagged feed by the ton (20kg bags) but we do collect ours as we only live 5 miles from there Bugbrooke mill.

The pallet of sow nuts I collected last Saturday cost us £292 for the ton, I also brought a couple of bags of Creepgrow pellets as we are having to hand feed six piglets and these cost us £7.04 per bag (again a 20kg bag)

Hope this helps

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »
We are in stonehouse gloucestershire.at the moment i pay £7.58nfor sow and £7.78 for finisher,but went to buy posts the other day and they were saying they would match my usual price,hence trying to find out if they are anygood or not?at the moment i am getting 25 kilo bags

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:40:17 pm »
My pigs love Heygates feed, but the big drawback for me is that the sacks are paper, and all my pigs are outdoors, in all kinds of weather. I'd prefer to feed Heygates, but keeping bags and contents dry in rain is a nightmare.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
Hi, we are in Cambridgeshire and get feed from Heygates. They will do a mix ton of food if you want, ie we get Hogget nuts, layers pellets and then pig food. Very good delivery service, always on time and phone us half an hour before they arrive. Pig food is about £6.80 per 20 kg bag.

tudful  tamworth, our pigs are all outdoors all year and we have no barns or sheds but we store the food in a little old rotting caravan. Sometimes the mice chew on the bags but nothing too major yet! But it is very annoying when the paper bags catch on something and rip part, food flying everywhere!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
The beauty of paper bags is that they can go in the compost heap. Hundreds of the plastic things are a pain to get rid of.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:00:04 am »
The beauty of paper bags is that they can go in the compost heap. Hundreds of the plastic things are a pain to get rid of.
Funny I prefer the plastic ones, when you collect the paper ones or unloading them from the car and its raining they get wet
we also take the plastic ones to the farm we get our oats,wheat etc from and they reuse them  ::)
Graham

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 11:57:20 am »
with both you can also fold the the bags and tie up with bailer twine and drop off at recycling centre.  You never know you might be making your next pig ark out of them  :thinking:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
Agree it's good to have a mixture as they do have a lot of uses. It's just if you let them build up into a huge pile like I tend to do they then become a nuisance but that's my fault not the bags ;D ;D .

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:53:55 am »
Just to add this post my advice would be to buy as much as you can keep safely now as i just got my latest feed bill and for 25kg bags of sow nuts it was £330/tonne pallet delivered. That means its gone up £30 a tonne in six weeks! I get a tonne roughly every 6wks. No wonder pig farmers are losing £18/pig! Bloody speculators on wheat futures cause this because of bad weather & crops abroad. :rant:
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS