Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flail mowers for quad bikes  (Read 24602 times)

capability campbell

• Joined Aug 2012
flail mowers for quad bikes
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »
 hello forum mates, Im looking for a flail mower which is towed by atv . Been to the dealer and all UK models seem to be about £4000.Does anyone have any experience or can give me some guidance on the reliability of cheaper imported models which seem to be half the price
Capability Campbell

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: flail mowers for quad bikes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:32:26 pm »
might be cheaper to buy a small tractor and a standard pto  mower - but I may be wrong.

m

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »
It would I reckon, our flail mower was  betweeen £500-700 and you could get an old (but not vintage) small tractor for about 3k, much more useful. I know thats not the question you asked :-))) but if you ever need any more attachments in future they are waaay cheaper for standard tractor PTO whereas with the quad you will have the 000s over and over. For a flail mower tractor prob needs 50hp+.
Also it (tractor) would do the job many times quicker, and will run on red diesel.
Hopefully someone will answer your original question too tho :-)

capability campbell

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:55 am »
Thank you for your kind responses re flail mower, You're correct that a wee tractor would be best, but have some woodland which tractor would have problems getting through, my intention is to clear brambles and willowherb and plant  wildflowers, its been a too much of a struggle with the strimmer. Pigs would be ideal, but as I wont live on site till next year, I couldnt be there to look after them, so, it's back to the original query if anyone has any experience of  foreign made flails, which seem to be half the price of UK ones. Thank you

pollygone

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »
I have just bought a flail mower for behind my quad, its made by Rock machinery and it was £1600, I could have paid an extra £300 for a Honda engine but decided to stick with the standard engine. So far so good, it cuts well. I have flatish land but if you have steep fields just look at how big your quad is, my mower is 270kg which is a fair weight behind a quad, so only suitable for the bigger quads I think.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:05 pm »
I am interested to see the answers here; we are considering an ATV topper.  The idea would be I could get out with the ATV and topper when I can't travel on the ground with the tractor and its topper.  But if the ATV topper+engine comes in at 1/4T, maybe I would be no better off in terms of travelling with that than tractor + topper?

We have some reshes get so thick so fast we need a tractor topper too, but quite a bit of the topping we need to do is thistles and younger reshes, which I was hoping the ATV version would cope with.  And if I can get out and top more frequently, then we'd have less of the reshes getting so big and thick...  At least, that's the theory...  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:17:37 pm »
maybe teaching granny to suck eggs here       but here goes  is the topper a tow behind that cuts in line with the wheels   or is it offset      if it is in line the quad wheels will flatten the threashes and anything else that the wheels roll over      a side cutting tow behind will not have this problem

the rolled material springs back up in about 2-3 weeks and just does not look right      the same problem occurs with rear mounted toppers on tractors

our field had not been topped for about 3 years and the threashes   were monstrous and in divots

the brief window of dry weather this year i cut them with a side mounted topper   the regrowth in the threashes is unbelievable   and i have noticed this in other farmers fields

now our field is reasonably flat and the present conditions i do not think a quad would manage to pull a topper   others may differ :farmer:

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:45 pm »
i have a wessex 120 af flail towed topper. has a briggs engine and is rather good.

it can be partially offset to avoid some driving over, but that has not been a major problem. i can tow it with a quad (honda 500) or our lttle Iseki compact. this year is a nightmare though, rushes as already said have grown back twice as heavy in this wet. heavy rushes burn through the belts on it.

paid 1100+vat at the local machinery auction, see loads of them go through at about that price.

light on the ground is the biggest advantage over a tractor model.

dominic

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:06 pm »
I've got a logic flail with a kawasaki klf 500 quad. It works well bit you have to let it munch its way through thicker rushes and if the rushes are too high the front bar folds them over and the flail misses them. If you top regularly they are ideal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS