Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No jam making this year!  (Read 6499 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: No jam making this year!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »
My three in one pear tree was covered in blossom, then loads of tiny pears.  Now down to two only.  The rhubarb is all thin andd spindly, my cherry which fruited for the first time last year (a while cherry) had quite a bit of blossom but no fruit.  BUT, my three in one apple tree is covered in lovely apples even the russet branch which doesn't usually do well, the plum has a good crop and my jostaberries are ripe and plump.  The birds usually strip the jostaberries before I can get to them but this year aren't interested and I'm not fit enough to go picking.  Must try though.  I can't bear to see them drop.  My new apple tree has an apple on it.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 04:03:53 pm »
NO cherries (last freezer bag eaten in June in preparation); 10 green guages; measly bowl of gooseberries and waiting for the pears and apples to ripen whilst they are still there....they are not very big though.  The alpine straws are doing ok but let's face it, half a bowl at a time doesn't a glut make....on the other hand what to do with the courgettes..... :thinking:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 11:37:55 am »
Courgette cake?  Similar recipe to carrot cake - saw it in a magazine.  The few apples we have this year are being pecked.  I have just watched the blackbirds attacking the apples in a frenzy.  What is happening? - they don't usually touch them until they have fallen.  The birds must be really short of food.
Have just eaten my ONE greengage :yum: :D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »
We've just found a handful of wild raspberries in the hedge along the lane  :yum:

But where are our damsons, plums and apples  ???  No jam or apple chutney  :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS