Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No jam making this year!  (Read 6498 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
No jam making this year!
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »
On our usually laden 4 plum trees this year we have a total of 2 plums!  1 pear between 2 trees.  11 damson trees are producing nothing and we are usually giving damsons away.  Only 2 apple trees out of 10 have any fruit this year.  On the bright side the elderberries are coming along nicely although they do blossom much later in the year than the others so won't have been caught with the cold snap we had.  Guess it'll have to be elderberry jelly in the jam pan.
Anyone else had a deminished fruit crop this year or was it just my blossom catching the frost?
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: No jam making this year!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:16:51 pm »
Sorry to hear you've had such troubles.

We are currently having a glut of alpine strawberries and raspberries, I've been quite surprised. Gooseberries are poor but I blame my cat  :cat:. We only have a very small patch though.

Dans

9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »
Our plums are so bad, I'm thinking of changing my username.  Normally we make 400 litres plus of wine plus fill a cupboard with jams and chutneys and still have spare to sell at the gate!
A very bad year for plums  :rant:   :raining:   <----------- too much of  that and not enough of this ---------->  :sunshine:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:09:00 pm »
Luckylady we've had exactly the same problems.   One mangled apple between 4 apple trees; One plum between 2 plum trees, not a single pear on the pear tree and the normally laden blackcurrent bushes.............have all been swiped by the birds this year  :furious: . The rhubarb and the gooseberries have been fantastic though  :excited:  and fingers crossed for the autumn raspberries  :fc:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:43:30 pm »
There is no fruit in our village at all. The Kiwi and Hazelnuts seem ok but it has had a big impact on us. No free pig food, no cider and no jams.
Imagine if one was relliant on a fruit crop to make a living. Our region usually produces tonnes of apples for the domestic and export market so no doubt the cost of fruit will increase in the shops. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
rhubarb, raspberries, gooseberries all doing well no strawbs or plums no apples or pears... there is going to be a bumper crop of blackberries and elderberries though

Ian

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:39:45 pm »
I forgot about the gooseberries.  They didn't do too badly and I managed to make half a dozen jars of jam.  Can't stand gooseberries myself but OH will eat the jam.  Relieved its not just me with a poor crop - oh that sounds mean doesn't it - its not meant in that way.  I wish we'd all had a bumper crop.  ;) 
Dans what on earth does your cat  :cat: do to the gooseberries?  ;D

Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:00:05 am »
She grabs the branch with her mouth, shakes her head and then jerks back to tear it. Only the gooseberry, the red currant, white currant, blueberry and raspberry surround it and are all unscathed. Found many unripe gooseberries on the floor and many broken branches. Couldn't figure it out until I caught her one day. *sigh* She doesn't even play with the berries that falls, or the twigs she breaks off, she just goes for another. She's the same with cardboard. It's a good job she gives good cuddles!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:58:02 am »
She grabs the branch with her mouth, shakes her head and then jerks back to tear it. Only the gooseberry, the red currant, white currant, blueberry and raspberry surround it and are all unscathed. Found many unripe gooseberries on the floor and many broken branches. Couldn't figure it out until I caught her one day. *sigh* She doesn't even play with the berries that falls, or the twigs she breaks off, she just goes for another. She's the same with cardboard. It's a good job she gives good cuddles!

Dans
They all have their own funny little quirks don't they?  One of our does the same with cardboard boxes too and she's a real cuddler.  Must be a personality trait!  :cat:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:45:23 am »
No pears or cherries this year. One apple spotted on the brambly tree, all the others were hit by wind and rain and blew off as little marble sized apples  :'( some strawberries and raspberries but not a huge crop. Worst of all NO GREENGAGE for wine  :o  :rant:

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:57 am »
we're the same, not one plum from about 20 trees, no pear at all, very few apples. Strawberries reasonable but have suffered in the wet

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »
Worst of all NO GREENGAGE for wine  :o :rant:
Will send you my 2 greengage - they are quite plump!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »
Loads of blackberries though and you only need a few apples to put with them for bramble jelly :yum:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »
Quelle disastre! We have 7 apples off 16 trees, no plums or pears at all. Strawberry bed was deicmated by thieving bar steward rabbits :rant: add to this poor wild fruits, sloes, damson, hawes & brambles! Winter ahead looking very grim without all these useful additions to both mine & the pigs larder! :'(
Veg garden has been listed as a UN area of decimation(rabbits again! ::) >:( ) & flooding and an area of outstanding beauty for its grand selection of weeds! ;D
Not a good year in the garden, thank god for the courgette & tomato factory in the polytunnel :excited:
Mandy  :pig:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:14 pm »
No pears or plums at all :( :( .  Slugs ate the courgettes, and the tomatoes and peppers got blight.  Potatoes rotted in the ground.  Just a few early strawberries and loganberries.  The apples are few and poor.  But the thistles and bindweed are rampant ::) ::) .  Roll on next summer :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS