Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What becomes of all these cats?  (Read 14095 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: What becomes of all these cats?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »
Well said, Rosemary.  :thumbsup:

Cats need just as much care as any other animal. I know that on many farms around here the barn cats live very hard lives ..... have been told, "Oh, the dogs kill them if they come down" etc. etc. Many of the farmers don't care two hoots about them. My neighbour has some ferals that live in her barn but she does make sure they have basic care .... as much as possible. She called one of the rescues when she realised they were breeding. They were trapped, neutered and released and kittens re-homed. The adults have a job to do but are still fed and kept an eye on.

Well done for doing the right thing for Polly and her poor kittens.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Polly has the best of both worlds now. She can go hunting if she wishes but dinner on the table if it doesn't go her way ;D  and somewhere warm to lie. Happy kitty.  :eyelashes:   ;D

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:33 pm »
I do think you did the right thing. My ferals are different as they are all but invisible - unless trapped. If they were handleable I would have tried having them in. I have one exferal inside who has tamed fine  and lost another similar this year. Those 2 have/had a much healthier longer life. The one I lost last year was kept to become the farm cat. After bringing her in the house she refused to go out for about 3 years & then maybe 6  times a year in very good weather. She certainly did not want to be outside. I also have an exstreet cat who is now 14ish & he certainly would not have survived without treatment & homing
Rose

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 12:42:55 pm »
The only problem I have with ferals is the thought that they may have feline AIDS which can obviously be passed on should they attack one of my domesticated cats. There are quite a few ferals around here, we see them jumping into the hedges as we drive down our lane. I get worried about Fred mainly, although it will be Henry too very soon, as he does get in some scraps but Im never sure who with.
As well as our 3 moggies, I also feed 2 cats who were abandoned by our neighbours when they moved. I'd love to do more, but frankly, I cant afford it!!!!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »
When we moved here there were many ferals cats (no rats though) We borrowed a cage from a local cat rescue, caught and spayed/neutered all the ones we could and tamed kittens that were born in the period of time before they were all done. It was a tough task, but the charity helped us with the cost of neutering and rehoming kittens.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 06:41:20 pm »
I'd be more worried about them carring worms if you have sheep.... Can cause abortion! Aslo FeLV and FIV viruses. Still I love farm cats, rarely are they over weight and rarely have tooth problems, what with eating a natural diet (waaayy less interfeared with, genetically than dogs who are crap at eating a 'natural diet').
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:10 pm »
I'd be more worried about them carring worms if you have sheep.... Can cause abortion! Aslo FeLV and FIV viruses. Still I love farm cats, rarely are they over weight and rarely have tooth problems, what with eating a natural diet (waaayy less interfeared with, genetically than dogs who are crap at eating a 'natural diet').
The CPL rehomed ones are checked for the FIV etc viruses and they dont rehome them if they have it (PTS I think), which was one reason I went for Cats Prot. Havent had any sheep/cat disease issues to date, hopefully the risk is lower now (toxo is much more likely in younger cats to cause issues)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 01:57:24 pm »
(toxo is much more likely in younger cats to cause issues)

Our vet says that the main thing is to avoid kittens as they will have and shed toxocara.  So if you've ferals breeding, and sheep, get the cats caught and neutered.  And if you get a kitten, and sheep nearby, make sure you undertake a very thorough worming programme (discuss with your vet), keep it in until vet says it won't be excreting toxo, and dispose of all waste carefully.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »
Given the number of true ferals, (the ones that In The Hills reffers to as invisible) having kittens under hedge rows. I would have thought that they presented the main risk to sheep rather than any which are tame enough to be kept in.
My cats keep others from using my fields as a toilet. ;)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 12:50:12 pm »
Just a quick reminder that toxoplasmosis is a zoonose (transmits from animals to humans).... cats can transmit to sheep and sheep to humans.... very serious to pregnant sheep and humans as affect the foetus.   Pregnant women please stay away from cats and lambing sheep and from anything that has been in contact with them ( including your OH's overalls?)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 02:29:52 pm »
Cat owners should get their cats neutered and feral ones should be caught and neutered. IMHO

Although I suppose i everyone did that, there would be no cats  ::)
Unless it's made legal yes there would.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »
Just a quick reminder that toxoplasmosis is a zoonose (transmits from animals to humans).... cats can transmit to sheep and sheep to humans.... very serious to pregnant sheep and humans as affect the foetus.   Pregnant women please stay away from cats and lambing sheep and from anything that has been in contact with them ( including your OH's overalls?)
Linda, please don't scare people with this. The cat is not the source of toxoplasmosis so NO RISK with touching cat or OH overalls  ;D the oocysts that cause toxoplasmosis are passed in cat faeces ONLY if the cat has toxoplasmosis to start with. It then takes 48 hours for the oocysts to be contagious so as long as litter trays are cleaned daily there is no risk!

Pregnant women are at higher risk from handling raw meat than any other source.
The CPL do a very good leaflet regarding this disease as do the NHS.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »
Thanks for those links Dans  :thumbsup:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
Np I've been meaning to look up Toxo and lambing and pregnancy for a while so it gave me a kick. Also get very frustrated with the amount of cats at the rescue because the owner is pregnant. Cats only shed for a short period after becoming infected and then have immunity (although they may shed again if immunodepressed), also not every cat has toxo. So the chances of you having a cat, that has recently become infected and is shedding, whilst you are pregnant (and have not previously been exposed to Toxo) and encountering infective cysts if the litter tray is being changed daily and you are practising good hygiene, is low. Saddens me the amount of family pets that are given over to rescues (no doubt causing heartache to the owners as well as putting additional strain on rescue shelters) through a misunderstanding.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/toxoplasmosis/info.html

Dans
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:54:07 pm by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 03:40:09 pm »
The amount of cats brought to the surgery 15 -20 years ago for euthanasia by distraught pregnant owners misinformed by unknowledgeable midwives was heartbreaking. Thank goodness now there is better information around and the health service are much more updated about zoonotic diseases and how they are spread  :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS