Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wasps in the ground  (Read 5259 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
wasps in the ground
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »
Hi :wave:

I have a wasp nest in a hole beside a sapling in the orchard. What type of wasps are they if they live inder ground and will they be a problem to me or the sheep, cats, chickens etc that wander around there?

robert waddell

Re: wasps in the ground
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:31:56 pm »
if it is your ordinary wasp  a bit of petrol and light it from a distance  that gets rid of them :farmer:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
if it is your ordinary wasp  a bit of petrol and light it from a distance  that gets rid of them :farmer:
But put your can away before you get the matches!!  :relief:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »
ant killer, very cheap and they take it into the nest for you, job done!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 11:27:05 pm »
Go to the nest in the later evening when they're all in, take a half pint of petrol and a polythene sack.
Tip the petrol into the entrance hole, leave the bottle in the hole it helps to block it up. Cover it with the sack and weight the sack down so it can't blow away.
Next day there will be a few wasps who were out on a sleepover somewhere and that will be all. The petrol fumes kill the nest off.
Don't light it a) it's dangerous and b) you're burning the vapour off and it's the vapour that does the job! :thumbsup:  Guaranteed to work, trust me I'm a beekeeper.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:49:38 pm »
we let the badgers take care of our wasp nests... but its a pain to fill the holes back in
Ian

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:16 pm »
if they are not doing you any harm (Stinging you) leave them alone they die in the winter (and I am a beekeeper) I  wounder why people just go out and kill - these along with many other insects actually pollinate most of our veg - plants etc. its not the honey bee that does it all.
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »
We once had a bees nest in a hole in the ground, i just put a milk crate over it to deter the dogs from messing with them, sadly they died in the winter  :( .  was fascinating watching them

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:23:07 pm »
We gt the bumble bee nesting in the bankings and paddocks.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »
Every year we have some bees find somewhere to nest in the ground. They are great to watch and very docile, never cause a problem. By September they are gone.
This year they had a hole next to the hen run. Lucky they weren't eaten I think.

Didnt like the wasp nest we had in the path one year  :rant: they meant business when autumn arrived. The hole was quickly filled so as not to be reused the following year  :relief:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:39 am »
Hum,
            they are coming round the house in a bad mood now. Guess they arn't any trouble until they are trouble!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS