Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Hen  (Read 4998 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
Broody Hen
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »
Hi All

I have my first ever broody hen, I have no fertile eggs so she is wasting her time (bless) any ideas on how to stop her please??

Many thanks

Maddox
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:41:55 am by Maddox »

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Broody
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:26 pm »
The old way was to put them in a tea chest sized box with a slatted floor.  Keep it clear of the ground so there is a gap under it.  They can't settle to sit then.
We tend to make sure they have no eggs to sit on and every time we pass the hen house, lift them off the nest and put them outside.
Of course, a sure fire way to stop a broody is to go out and buy some really expensive setting eggs and put them under her, she'll stop sitting next day! ;) ;) ;)

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:06 am »
One of my ex batts has gone broody - I might try a duck egg under her to see what she does ;D  I did that before and the poor thing went bananas every time her baby went near the pond.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:57 am »
The old way was to put them in a tea chest sized box with a slatted floor.  Keep it clear of the ground so there is a gap under it.  They can't settle to sit then.
We tend to make sure they have no eggs to sit on and every time we pass the hen house, lift them off the nest and put them outside.
Of course, a sure fire way to stop a broody is to go out and buy some really expensive setting eggs and put them under her, she'll stop sitting next day! ;) ;) ;)

Dave

Many thanks for the advice. where do you find these setting eggs?? looked on the wb and cant seem to find any.

M x

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:35:51 am »
Look for fertile or hatching eggs - ebay normally has loads although not everyone is reliable (had some batches that i don't think were fertilised at all)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:08:03 pm »
I can give you LS hens or KC ducks if you are close but won't put them through the post.  Perhaps you have some oen nearby who could give you some to try?  You aren't on the map.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:01:15 pm »
Hi

Im in Nr Chelmsford Essex.

Many thanks
Maddox

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 06:21:40 pm »
Have a look on the members map, there may be someone near you who has fertile eggs.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 06:43:13 pm »
It would seem a shame to not let her try a brood. Try the small holder magazine loads of breeders advertise there. one of our hylines has just kicked our light sussex bantam off her eggs. poor girls she had sat for over two weeks. The hyline is now sitting on them will wait and see what happens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:13:37 pm »
I've never heard of that before - poor thing.  Did she not try to make a nest somewhere else?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:18:53 am »
yes right next to the hyline.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 09:47:19 am »
Maddox, you're near me then! I'll happily let you have some eggs if you want some?

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:07:56 am »
Hi Dixie

That would be fab, I will PM you  ;D

xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS