Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Break for freedom  (Read 3168 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Break for freedom
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:21 am »
Every day my 8 Buff Orpington and 1 Aylesbury ducks get out their enclosure for a day on new grass. The other 4 are too timid and stay in familiar territory. Well, as soon as I let them out in the morning they know and make their way over to where they spend the day. However, every so often one of the goats knocks the fence and they get to free range the beer garden. The only problem with this is we are on the side of the River Eden which is a wide and tidal river.

So, this morning 7 of them were out swimming on the river - having the time of their lives, obviously much better than their own pond. After the initial panic and shouting on them I knew I had to just walk away and hope they would return, and they did - 20 minutes later.I thought it typical - I start to sell their eggs and they do a runner! They are now locked in again and no matter how secure we make it the buggers will soon find another escape route (with the aid of a goat I dare say).

Jay C

• Joined Apr 2009
  • BARROW-UPON-HUMBER
  • http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/index.php
Re: Break for freedom
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:31:42 am »
Every day my 8 Buff Orpington and 1 Aylesbury ducks get out their enclosure for a day on new grass. The other 4 are too timid and stay in familiar territory. Well, as soon as I let them out in the morning they know and make their way over to where they spend the day. However, every so often one of the goats knocks the fence and they get to free range the beer garden. The only problem with this is we are on the side of the River Eden which is a wide and tidal river.

So, this morning 7 of them were out swimming on the river - having the time of their lives, obviously much better than their own pond. After the initial panic and shouting on them I knew I had to just walk away and hope they would return, and they did - 20 minutes later.I thought it typical - I start to sell their eggs and they do a runner! They are now locked in again and no matter how secure we make it the buggers will soon find another escape route (with the aid of a goat I dare say).

Sounds like great fun ;D ;D
I'm sure ill have something on the same line's to deal with when i get my girls then you can laugh at me ;) ;D
virgin to the green fingers world.. new 6x8 greenhouse
virgin to the Chicken owning world
and a keen pest controller and target shooting.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:51 am »
They did the very same this morning. So, I left them for a while as they were having fun and started offering bread and back they came. :&> :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:20:21 am »
This is the wee "monsters" making their way back after spending the morning on the river - good job they like bread or they maight not come back!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1mh6tOVRE

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:43:22 pm »
I didn't know you had three Cockers, James - I used to breed and show them.  Where are they from? I know a lot of breeders in your area and across the country. Lynshow, Bitcon,Shanaz, Lynwater, Classicway, Quettadene - any of these names in their pedigrees?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:48:24 pm »
I have 2 "Rancecraig" girls from Liz Craig who is a good friend of ours and just up the road from you Annie. The other is Ruby - we rescued her 2 years ago this week (she has her tail) and she is originally from London. She is a beauty too but totally hyper and a real affectionate wee girl who loves attention. They are 8, 5 and 2 years old. Gynty is the mother to Topsy(the Rancecraig girls) and is Crufts qualified but hated the show side of things so Liz offered her to  us as we had one of her pups. I will e mail you some pics of them.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:36:07 pm »
My ducks are now totally free range, but come 6pm they go into their own enclosure before getting  locked up for the night. They are loving the new lease of life and go on the river for a play and then come back quite the thing. I am so happy at they are having such freedom and fun, even when the tide is in and the water is high they behave theirselves.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS