Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Badly cracked hoof  (Read 5516 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Badly cracked hoof
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:29 am »
One of my ewes has a badly cracked hoof - in fact its cracked right up to the coronary band. She was very lame yesterday so caught her - called the vet to get a painkilling injection & ask advice. He suggested giving her Pen & Strep in case of infection. I cleaned her hoof up, no sign of pus or swelling, sprayed with blue spray and have kept her penned up overnight. This morning it is obvious she is not in as much pain. The vet said it would take quite a long time to grow out & mentioned something about 'glueing a stilt on her foot to take the pressure of the hoof' He said it was quite common in cows but not so much in sheep. I was going to keep her penned up for one more day, (so I don't have to chase her round for the last dose of Pen & Strep!) Then let her out & hopefully let the hoof grow back. I wondered if anyone has any more advice? Thank you
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Badly cracked hoof
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:44 pm »
A picture would be very helpful...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:18 pm »
It sounds like a white line abcess (abcess itself probably already gone), possibly following on from shelly hoof. I have had two of my Shetlands with that this winter, my tup is still sometimes lame, sometimes not. I took away most of the horn, did not give any antibiotics (after all i couldn't see any infection), just sprayed with purple spray.

The hoof/horn will grow back slowly, it is probably a consquence of the wet weather with the ground being so squelchy all the time, the have never dry feet and that makes them so soft and easily a stone or similar can cause that kind of damage.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:54:57 pm »
The vet said it would take quite a long time to grow out & mentioned something about 'glueing a stilt on her foot to take the pressure of the hoof' He said it was quite common in cows but not so much in sheep.

The product he is referring to is Demotec 95 - a two application kit (to treat 2 hoofs in cattle) will cost you £28.99 or thereabouts

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:47 pm »
very simular to my post ive just posted :)
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Sorry Sally, I've not been able to get a picture, but if I do I'll put it on. I've read your post Andywalt  - that's interesting and thank you for the info on Demotec 95.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS