Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on keeping Ryelands  (Read 9955 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Advice on keeping Ryelands
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 08:01:57 am »
I have 3 coloureds but am just about to buy 2 whites and they will all live together. However, I will put them to a coloured and white ram respectively
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »
That's true but a bit simplistic, I think. As things stand at the moment, the RFBS has two flock books - one for white Ryelands and one for Coloured Ryelands. There is also a supplementary register for white sheep that have a coloured parent (much frowned upon).

I think discouraged would be a better term.

There are some folk in the RFBS who breed white sheep who are (IMHO) obsessive about eliminating the coloured gene from the white flock and have voted to "invest" £30k of members money in genetic mapping to identify the coloured gene.

Rosemary, I think this a rather unfair way of looking at it. The sum involved is considerably less that the one you mention and as I am sure you know, the genetic mapping project will cover far more that fleece colour.

I prefer the Coloured because I like to favour the underdog 

Coloured sheep are equal - no underdog complex at all. I can't comment on the views of individual breeders but at far as the breed society goes Ryelands and Coloured Ryelands are on a level playing field.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 02:34:01 pm »
I have flocks of both Ryelands & coloured Ryelands. My coloured flock came about because one of my Ryelands have a coloured tup lamb (in effect a new bloodline within the coloured flock).
Some people only breed white or visa versa coloured Ryelands because of the logistics involved at tupping time. The white flock is larger because at the end of the day more people breed Ryelands for the white fleece.
The RFBS has come a long way in the last few years in it's attempt to have the coloured classed as a flock in their own right. Some breeders hate them, but as with everthing in life it's up to the individual what they breed.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »
That's true but a bit simplistic, I think. As things stand at the moment, the RFBS has two flock books - one for white Ryelands and one for Coloured Ryelands. There is also a supplementary register for white sheep that have a coloured parent (much frowned upon).

I think discouraged would be a better term.

There are some folk in the RFBS who breed white sheep who are (IMHO) obsessive about eliminating the coloured gene from the white flock and have voted to "invest" £30k of members money in genetic mapping to identify the coloured gene.

Rosemary, I think this a rather unfair way of looking at it. The sum involved is considerably less that the one you mention and as I am sure you know, the genetic mapping project will cover far more that fleece colour.

I prefer the Coloured because I like to favour the underdog 

Coloured sheep are equal - no underdog complex at all. I can't comment on the views of individual breeders but at far as the breed society goes Ryelands and Coloured Ryelands are on a level playing field.

I apologise if the sum of £30,000 is inaccurate. The rest is my opinion, as I have said, and I stand by my opinion.However, to avoid confusion and to avoid hijacking the thread, I have removed my post.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 05:24:44 pm »
Hi guys,
           I appologise for opening a can of worms with the debate about colour. I withdrew from from the croad society for a similar issue regarding the fact that I breed blues which the organisation has very stong views on that I couldnt share.
        Looks like I'm courting controvesy again with my sheep. I dont mean to to cause bother...it just kind of happens :-\
        I am a bit confused now about buying stock of one colour which may produce lambs of a different colour and how to register them. I dont want to be at odds with the society that Im not even a member of yet as I know that these organisations can make showing and selling animals very difficult for those who they feel do not conform.
         can you please tell me what you would advise on this one? Do I need to find a breeder whose stock have been through some sort of scrutiny to ensure they only produce offspring of the same colour? Also, what are the pros and cons of whites over browns ?
Differing oppinions always welcome ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 05:40:59 pm »
Buffy, don't worry about it  ;D and don't worry about the registration.

If you prefer the white sheep, get them - if one happens to have a coloured lamb, which can happen if even if you use a white tup, it's OK. If it's for the freezer it will taste the same regardless of colour. If it's good enough to breed from, a breeder of coloured sheep may be happy to buy it because it will bring fresh genes to the cooured flock.

If you prefer the coloured sheep, get them - if you use a coloured tup on coloured ewes, you won't get any white lambs :) .

If you decide to get a mix of white and coloured ewes, it's probably best to follow the RFBS advice to use the same coloured tup as the ewe. It just makes the paperwork easier and probably makes selling any breeding stock easier too. In any case, Dot is always able to sort out any difficulties with registration.

Please don't be put off the breed by the colour issuse - they are lovely sheep and most of the folk that have them are nice too.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 09:51:42 am »
Good to talk yesterday Buffy

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:28 pm »
Buffy,
With regards to your original point on keeping them, I now have 5 ewe lambs and had them all of 6 weeks, settled in great and 2 will eat out of your hand.
They are ranging in 3 acres at the moment with 2 horses, 3 dogs and 34 hens and a quad bike, and you would think they have been here all their life. One major benefit is that they like to nibble new green shoots/leaves of brambles and they like the new small leaves of docks - saves on weed spraying.

The photo was taked 2 days after they arrived.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 11:53:09 pm »
My main ram is a brown Ryeland and he has mated with my white crossbred ewes and purebred Charollais - all the resulting lambs are white (although some have initially had one or two brown patches which have disappeared).  The lambs are fantastic commercial lambs and I couldn't have wished for better stock.

I now have a Zwartbles and Gotland ram which I will be experimenting with so it will be interesting to see what they produce compared with the Ryeland!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:30 am »
Oh Toby,
   how cute are they? Especially the one hiding in the tree pretending to be a little owl :D
    Well I have decided on colour.......or rather I couldnt decide on colour so Im having 3 of each and planning to borrow a tup of each colour when the time comes ;D
 Remy,
         I have just seen an ad on preloved for a lovely white ryeland ram for £100. Unfortunatly he is not registered but would be ideal for  someone like yourself who is breeding for meat. As the ewes that I am buying are registered then I am better off borrowing a registered tup to serve them but if I was breeding from unregistered stock for meat I would have snapped him up.
Rosmary,
  can you tell Dan that we need a smiley icon thats really, really excited ;D

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 08:31:19 am »
Rosmary,
  can you tell Dan that we need a smiley icon thats really, really excited ;D

Does this sufficiently convey your excitement? :excited: :)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »
Perfect! :excited:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:44 pm »
Buffy, put my name down for some of your first lambs.  I have totally fallen for Ryelands after getting a bottle fed Ryeland x Charollais from Remy.  He is absolutely adorable and so unbelievably friendly (obviously thats something to do with him being bottle fed too).  Am looking to add to my mini flock next year and after researching more I have made up my mind that Ryelands are the way forward.  Live just a few miles from you.  Can I come and see yours when you get them pleeeeeeeeeease?
Remy,  Bugsy is happy and healthy and enjoying life as an orchard lawnmower with Amos. :sheep: :sheep:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 06:16:54 pm »
Lucky lady,

of course you can  ;D I will pm you when they arrive. If I get this years lambs though they wont be put to the tup till the end of 2013 to lamb in 2014.
I will let you know what I get.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »
Oooh, and I was pretty thrilled wityh my Ryeland x Poll Dorset... really looking forward to my Ryeland x Charollias next year now too. I guess that is one huge thing to be said about x-bred sheep. Not hassle with breed societies and registration! ;D
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS