Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boer Kids for Meat  (Read 2983 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Boer Kids for Meat
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:43:27 pm »
I am keen to get a few goats and would like to start with Boers for meat.  I have been to see some and they seemed very docile and no sign of great escapes which would suit me. Do others find them a good quiet breed? 
My only worry is one of my fences is stockwired with electric hotwire but only stands around 3'6".  Will the electric on this be enough to stop them wanting to go over?
Still trying to convince OH this is a good idea. I think he has turned his back on my ram once too often and not keen on goaty horns!!
They seem less maintenance and hassle than sheep.  Do you guys find this?  Seems they are happy with field shelter and apart from feet checks, worming and daily feeds I can't see how they are going to be too time consuming.  I thought I would by a couple of weaned kids so at least if I don't like them I can eat them!

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
Re: Boer Kids for Meat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:57:47 pm »
Hi, we have Boer goats and have had no problem with them at all, they are very friendly and we only have standard stock wire with a strand of electric at the top to prevent them leaning on the wire, I would say go for it your other half will love them and even our billy is a sweetly, good luck, buy castrated if you are only wanting for meat as your growing time is restricted if you grow on entire billies.
Regards Ann

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:59:01 pm »
Thanks for reply.  When do billies start getting smelly and if kids are left entire what is the latest they can go for meat without tainting?  I need to make sure I have a plan regarding castrating or not if I manage to get some does.  I can't believe I have to go all the way from Wiltshire to Lancashire to find some.

I thought if I picked up 3 or 4 castrated boys (which I can this week) then I could keep one for company should I decide to get entire male.  Would rather hire but on other hand saves a lot of travelling with girls.

How many do you keep per acre?  I have ponies and although can keep separate wondered if they would mix.  They are Fells and tend to bully my sheep although they do graze together.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:02:49 pm »
A. Friend of a friend bought a boer billy kid to use on her nannys
Unfortunatly she failed to talk it over with her OH
Apparantly OH had a blue fit and started making lots of bleeping words
So said billy who is now called William is at our place where we said we would never ever have a billy because of the smell!
Anyway we love him and he is so friendly and so far has never escaped
Definatly a steady breed compared to our BTs
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:06:53 pm by sokel »
Graham

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 04:27:43 pm »
Thanks for reply.  When do billies start getting smelly and if kids are left entire what is the latest they can go for meat without tainting?  I need to make sure I have a plan regarding castrating or not if I manage to get some does.  I can't believe I have to go all the way from Wiltshire to Lancashire to find some.

I thought if I picked up 3 or 4 castrated boys (which I can this week) then I could keep one for company should I decide to get entire male.  Would rather hire but on other hand saves a lot of travelling with girls.

How many do you keep per acre?  I have ponies and although can keep separate wondered if they would mix.  They are Fells and tend to bully my sheep although they do graze together.

Hi, I think ideas vary as to how long befor killing an entire billy kid but I would say about six months but be warned I find Boer goats in particular like a lot of human attention and can get very friendly with you making it harder to send them off!
Goats and ponies mix very well together , I find our Boer goats like most goats are not big grazers but much prefer to browse on weeds especially nettles and thistles,  our pasture has improved immensely in the last couple of years and in fact our neighbours field, they only graze sheep, is full of nettles ant thistles.
Regards Ann

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS