Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: giving goats cobalt  (Read 3494 times)

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
giving goats cobalt
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:18 am »
i have been told by someone that used to keep goats a long time ago they used to give there goats extra cobalt in there diets to keep them in good condition, can someone recommend what drench or bolus they use please. thankyou

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: giving goats cobalt
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
I use Cox Agri Formula B12 + Co as a drench, or I use Brinicombes goat mineral. One or the other, I think if you did both you'd overdo it. I also always have a Red Rockie available.

With the drench, you know they've had it - but you have to drench them  ::)

Mine have gone from not touching their food with the Brinicombes powder sprinkled on it, to eating it 'neat' :D It has a strong smell, so presumably taste, so seems to take some getting used to.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:41:59 am »
I'm very suspicious of Bolus's as once they are in you can't get them out I prefer something goats can help themselves to if they need it.Yellow Rockies used to be the higher colbalt ones but I believe they've changed it...very confusing!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »
There is a blue rockie now which is cobalt. I use AH's minerals with 4 times as much cobalt as caprivite.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »
For information....cobalt is to be removed over a period of time from all animal feeds....EU directive as considered to be too expensive.   Brinicombes Balancer has taken this into account by adding additional Vit B12.
Feeding the Brinicombes Balancer is so much easier than using several different products.....Brinicombes contains the correct balance of all the various minerals, trace elements & vitamins.   Makes sense to use just the one product really.

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »
thanks everyone for replying

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:23 am »
I've been using Brinicombes since January and my goats needed a little gradual introduction but now love it.  They are in good condition and their milk is really sweet - when they first arrived it was not as nice as it now which I think might have been due to a mineral deficiency.  So simple to add the powder to their feed and, with the bucket licked clean, I know they've consumed it all!

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:20 am »
i shall get some brinicombes and give them that, thanks everyone.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:01 am »
The tel no is 01363 778792    mention my name   Jane Ross

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »
thanks for that wytsend i will do

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS