Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora Wool  (Read 4169 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Angora Wool
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:31:21 am »
Hi All

We keep quite a few english angora rabbits but I just haven't got the cash to spare to get set up with a spinner & anything else I may need (Including an instruction manual!)    I'm thinking of selling the wool, as even to get a couple of £. towards the feed bill would help - Would anyone here be interested?  Our 3 colours at the moment are grey/white, pure white and gold.   After clipping 3 rabbits it would produce a good carrier bag size.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:33:02 am by fairhavenfarm »
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Angora Wool
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:07:46 am »
 :wave:  No wool needed, thank you ..... but ...... they are just soooooo cute and look so well cared for.

Do you show/ breed?

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »
Hi  in the hills   :wave:

Thank you, yes we do breed occasionally - Only 2 or 3 litters a year with the Angora's but we don't show them. We do show the Swiss Fox (Rare Variety)  which is also long haired but being fur not wool, they are much easier to look after!     I have done a rabbit stud site if you would like a look:   http://www.fairhavenstud.weebly.com 
  :bunny:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:44:01 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Thank you. Enjoyed looking at your site.  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:46:16 pm »
fairhaven, it might be worth looking up your local Guild (of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers) http://www.wsd.org.uk/guilds.htm
Quite likely someone there would be very happy to buy your 'clip' off you :D or at least advise you how to clip and market for spinning another time.

And/or, if you have any local pals who knit or crochet and use Ravelry, they could post a 'For Sale' on there for you.  Using Angora for spinning certainly gets discussed on there.

Failing that, a card in your local craft / knitting shop. 

I'm too novice, myself, to think about taking on yet another new thing just yet (plus have front room full of my own fleeces - and a few gifts of - at the moment...) By all means ask me again next year, though!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:17:10 pm »
Hi there,I'd be interested in buying the wool. I've thought about keeping angoras myself but just not got the time (and also the cocker spaniel is a menace with rabbits  ::) ) Could you tell me how much it weighs and what you're wanting for it?

Thanks!

Katy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS