Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pricing lamb  (Read 3527 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
pricing lamb
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:32:01 am »
Has anyone got any advice as to pricing lamb. i have 11 which are only 5 weeks old now, but several have already been 'booked' by friends and workmates for later in the year. The idea is that they get slaughtered and butchered and then sold as whole or half lambs. No faffing about with bits and pieces!

Do I price now somehow, or price once butchered?
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: pricing lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:30 am »
As a guide I pay £4 per kilo butchered per whole lamb. Prices are up this year though, dont undersell yourself!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 04:52:58 pm »
Hello,

Last year we put through two Jacobs and four Hebrideans through our farm shop as a trial. Sold the lot at a flat rate £8/kg for all cuts no problem.

Cheers

Gavin

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:16:38 pm »
I have regularly sold at £60 for a half .....lots of satisfied customers!
They are killed and butchered to the customers requirements.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:58 pm »
Seems I'm gettin a bargain then! shhhhh!! ;)

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:04:55 pm »
we sell them for £40 half 80 whole.  they come back from the abbatior ready butchered and bagged which costs £26 then factor in travel, rearing, food, vaccinations, it does not see much profit so dont sell yourself short!

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:08 am »
We have previously sold at £45 per half lamb - this has increased to £50 for the next batch! On return from the abbattoir they hang in our cold room, then we butcher and pack ourselves, as the cost of this being undertaken by the butcher at the abbattoir was a little too much. I do monitor supermarket prices, but having not had internet access for well over 9 months (thank you BT!!), I was recently a bit shocked at the current supermarket price of lamb!! I reckon if you ask others locally, check local supermarket prices and those of your local butcher, you should be able to come to a realistic price.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS