Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling like a bit of a lemon  (Read 2143 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Feeling like a bit of a lemon
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »
Well I decided to finish changing the engine oil on the recently acquired old tractor  today to keep out of the sun.

Trouble is I had a problem on another vehicle when the oil pump wouldn't prime after an oil change, and as the oil pressure light doesn't work on this tractor I decided I'd better fix it before trying to start the tractor (just in case it didn't prime OK).

Turns out that the oil pressure switch is dud and I don't have a spare, but I do have a pressure gauge so I put that in instead.

Started up the tractor...

watching the gauge - no pressure...

- keep waiting (it had to fill the new filter)...

still no pressure - getting worried...

still no pressure - so I turn it off and have a think. It occurs to me that the plastic capillary tube connecting the gauge might have been squashed when I tightened the connection (I'd had to 'improvise' a seal), so I loosened it off a bit.

Restart the tractor - watching the gauge, closely...

still reading zero....

??? it's raining!!!  ???

- the capillary tube has popped out and oil is jetting up to the roof of the shed (~12 feet) and spraying out in all directions. It's amazing how much oil can fit through a 3.0mm hole!

stopped the engine (el-pronto!!)

Well the shed & tractor did need a good jetwashing - but not with super-universal tractor oil.  :(

anyone got any suggestions as to how to clean oil off the walls, roof, floor, tractor, tools (and me)?

Still - at least I know the oil pump IS primed and working  ::) .

marcus

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: Feeling like a bit of a lemon
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:18:43 pm »
Like it.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:53:07 am »
Gunk , best degreacer of the lot, put it on with a paintbrush scrub it about a bit, then hose off. try washing an engine with it, comes up like new. :thumbsup:
edited to add:  to get oil off your hands , pour some cooking oil into you palm then add a tablespoon of sugar, work this all over the mineral oil bits then wash with washing-up liquid. job done.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:01:02 am by tizaala »

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:49 am »
 :D and  :(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:56:31 pm »
mab I know it's not funny when it happens to you but it didn't happen to me so  ;D ;D ;D .

Hope you get the oil off everywhere and keep smiling.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS