Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideal cattle starter breeds  (Read 11404 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ideal cattle starter breeds
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:57 pm »
Gloucesters are gorgeous - but they're a dairy cow, aren't they? - the traditional milk cow behind Double Gloucester cheese.  (And for that, I think I remember reading that they need to be eating grass grown on the 'marl' - Gloucestershire chalkland meadows.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
No according to the Gloucester cattle society they are a dual purpose breed & there are many traditional dual -       purpose breeds (e.g for beef & dairy)  mentioned above which include the Longhorns, Shorthorns, Gloucesters & Irish Moiled.

I think for a small starter herd I'd be tempted to go with 3 Irish moiled & 3 Gloucester cows in calf - & have them Artificially inseminated for a few years, so I could breed pure unrelated animals & sell off or slaughter excess bull calves as beef cattle before 32 months, & Heifer calves could stay in the herd if they make the grade, or go for slaughter as  beef animals again or be used in the main herd. That way 2 small herds can gradually be built up before introducing any Bulls - so their defo 2 breeds to look into x

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »
Been following this thread with interest .... I too am wondering what breed.  I'm after a dual purpose which will produce good meat and will give me the option of a house cow.    interested in the Gloucester idea as hadn't realised this was dual purpose either ...... has anyone any experience of them as house cow or beef producers?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 07:08:49 pm »
Been following this thread with interest .... I too am wondering what breed.  I'm after a dual purpose which will produce good meat and will give me the option of a house cow.    interested in the Gloucester idea as hadn't realised this was dual purpose either ...... has anyone any experience of them as house cow or beef producers?
Doubtful - they're incredibly rare, only a handful of herds left, I understand.  I'd love to hear about anyone who's had any too  :) 

Your local breed would be Welsh Black - lovely cattle, great suckler cows, producing good beefy offspring, but should be quiet enough to be a house cow.  I don't know if anyone on here has used one as a house cow?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »
Oh, yes - they're beautiful. It's their milk that makes Double Gloucester cheese

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:04 am »
 :wave: thanks Salllyintnorth ... Welsh Black was where I started this thought process and after going to a restauant charging a third again for welsh Black steak to their other steak I pretty much made up my mind.  But is there anyone who has milked welsh blacks?  I'd like to know what sort of mixed suckler/house cow they would make.  (I don't need loads of milk)

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS