Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Felted on the sheep  (Read 2051 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Felted on the sheep
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:21:59 am »
I've had some wool that felted on the sheep due to the weather being so bad couldn't clip them.
Has anyone got any ideas what to do with it. It's Gotland wool and the tips of the wool aren't felted but remain curly just the bottom of it is felted and it's in good sized pieces.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Felted on the sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:48:15 am »
I am so not an expert at this one, moley, but someone told me you could just wash it and use it as you would a sheepskin.  Can't see why not, eh?  Let us know if you try!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:17:16 pm »
I saw an interesting thing with felt and soap yesterday - handmade bars of soap, wrapped and bound with felt.
It's a bit like a soft brilo pad  ;) No need to take a separate cloth/scrubber/exfoliating pad into the shower and apparently the felt shrinks with the soap so at the end all you're left with is a nice smelling bit of felt that you can use to fragrence drawers/wardrobes. I thought it was a great idea and maybe your fleece/felt would work for this ? (You can buy bulk packs of handmade soap off cuts on ebay  ;) :innocent:)
http://www.pvsoap.com/felted_soap_instructions.htm Here's a link with info  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »
My Gotland fleeces have felted a bit on the sheep, and from what I have been told it is quite common for the spring clipped ewes, but you should have better luck, especially with the lamb/hogg fleeces, for the October clip.

You can carefully wash it and then use for peg looming, the lady I bought my Gotlands from does quite a bit of that. Just tears strips of the felted fleece and makes really nice rugs/seat cushions etc - things where further felting doesn't matter.

Tell us what you are oing to do with yours, I am still having mine in bags...no time for fleece work atm... :(

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:08:53 am »
I've done the felt stones bit, found that only works if the wool has been washed and carded first for some reason. Gotland wool of course is the ideal colour for this project.
I like the idea of just taking strips off for a peg loom, I wonder if this would work for a 'rag rug'
or 'clippy mat' ??
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS