Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you think is the best all round small holder animal?  (Read 16375 times)

JoanneB

• Joined May 2012
  • Linlithgow, Scotland
Re: What do you think is the best all round small holder animal?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »
Fascinating stuff guys. I have only tried shop bought goats mIlk and have to agree it was vile. I think I'd need convincing that fresh was better before going for a goat. I was dead keen though, right up until I put it on my cornflakes. I'm having terrible bother with foxes and don't free range my hens anymore, sadly. Otherwise I'd have no hesitation in upping my brood. Geese I hope will be less prone to fox attacks. Very much hoping to make it to the Smallholding Fest, am due baby 2 at the beginning of Sept so depends a bit how that goes. Hope meet some of you there. ????
Joanne, West Lothian

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:22 am »
joanne
i HATED goats milk............
UNTIL I went to little blues and bit the bullet and had it in my tea; all fine and was no different. :yum:
would consider getting a goat if we had space/experience
Mx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 08:26:46 am »
The supermarket stuff tastes completely different to fresh, it really does. I used to baulk at the taste of it if I accidentally put my daughters goats milk into my coffee but now if it's from our own goat, the only difference I can taste is that its full fat rather than the skimmed which I prefer  :)

Other point about mating goats - our goats only come into season once a year, ie. in the Autumn and once they are successfully mated they go quiet, have their kids in the spring and won't return into season till the autumn... so I'm still confuddled as to how they can have 3 lots of kids a year but there you go  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:08 pm »
A goats gestation is around 150 days - so even with my maths A-level quite a few years ago I don't think goats can produce three lots of kids a year, I would have thought there aren't any large animals that can? ???  (I wouldn't count rabbits as large animals...)

There is a lot of prejudice out there against goats, and it is easy to keep going at them because everybody else is too... but I bet anyone who is actually starting to keep them is getting addicted in no time  ;D . And they don't require cattle handling facilities, a large trailer, 4 x 4 car to tow said trailer... so in all a much better smallholder option than cows (only my personal opinion, and I would love a house cow too...)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:58 pm »
Soon after I had my first goat, my brother and his wife came to visit.  After as couple of cups of tea, Paul said, "Let's see this goat then." so we all went out into the garden to see her.  After making a fuss of her and saying how lovely she was, we went back inside and my brother and his wife went for a rest (they had been travelling for hours).  Got up a couple of hours later and we were drinking more tea when the conversation got onto goats.  Paul, cup of tea in hand, said, "Well, goat's milk is all very well but I couldn't drink it in my tea."  He then looked at my face and said, "I have been, haven't I?"

I rest my case.

princesspiggy

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »
our bagot milk was perfect coffee, i cant stand shop bought gots milk/or even goats butter, big shame  tho.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »
goats milk is often "creamier" than what you get in a bottle from the supermarket (cows') ... however, if you stand it & skim it, make butter - an extra bonus!
  The butter fat is distributed differently than in cows's milk, so it takes longer to rise & is less "fattening" due to how your body emulsifies it.  There is also alot less lactose, hence the ability of people loke my o/h to drink huge quantities (and he does!) without getting a reaction like he does to cows' milk (especially full fat)

And you can't get fresher than straight from your own goat, even if its pasteurised & left overnight to cool, like we do.

Nobody who comes here gets anything but goats' milk, unless they bring their own (my mum does, but thats another story!)  and we have made a good few converts, eh manian?!
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
And if you still need convincing, Shropshire Lass, come to Telford and try milk from my girl.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:54 pm »
Now you do realise Mad Goat that if someone googles Telford it's going to come up with your last statement .....  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:55 pm »
Gloucester Old Spot Pigs  sociable and tasty (they say you can tell them your troubles) Which brings me on to Jacob sheep, more like a goat than a sheep. Will clear your hedgerow  while ignoring grass in the field. Only plus side is is gives our collie something to work.
Tried using them to keep the grass down in the orchard and they ringed all the bark off the apple trees. Now have a gaggle of eight chinese geese for that job.
Chickens are ok if you want one egg a day lol( I swear they are on flexi time even our Turkeys lay more than the hens do).
As for horses my Quarter horse x is the quickest thing for converting £20 notes into manure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS