Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone know where i can purchase a good quality scythe??  (Read 8058 times)

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
Anyone know where i can purchase a good quality scythe??
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:27:19 pm »
With the promise of good weather to come next week :fc: ... Im looking to buy a scythe to try my hand at making hay. But im unsure whether to buy a austrian scythe or an olde english scythe, from what ive been reading the austrian is lighter, but seems much more fragile, while the olde english scythe is heavier but stronger and more forgiving to the beginner .  Plus i can only find one shop the austrian scythe shop, And cant find anywhere that sells quality olde english ones Anyone have any advice from experience of which of the two is preferable? And where to purchase from.....Thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Anyone know where i can purchase a good quality scythe??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:44 pm »
I've used both and am completely hooked on the Austrian scythe. It's not flimsy but is much lighter, so you can do more. Also you can sharpen it with a wetstone, in the field, so it stays sharp and therefore cuts better. An English scythe has to be sharpened with a grindstone wheel so you either have to set up a treadle one in the field or work with an increasingly blunt blade as the day goes on.

I've got a 'ditch' blade on mine and it's dealing with two year old, head high dockens and nettles easily, but will also cut rough grass and seaves (rushes). Ordinary grass and wildflowers need a grass blade.

I didn't look where you are. The Scythe Shop online sells them, as does Paul Kingsnorth in Cumbria.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56:06 pm »
NOt tried and old english one, but have used the austrian one for 2 yrs and can confirm it is completely forgiving of a beginner (and a clumsy one at that) and doesn't seem fragile to me.  As JayKay, got mine from the scyth shop.com.  I have a grass blade on, but am about to purchase a shorter ditch blade for heavier weed control.  Enjoy!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
paul@paulkingsnorth.net

Try this bloke; he's in Cumbria and sells Austrian scythes, and does training in using them. I'm hoping to get him to run a course here next year.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:02:26 pm »
Paul's the guy I bought mine from and who showed me now to use it. I caught the end of a day's course he was running - no places left when I found it - and the participants highly recommended it and had had a great day,

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:28:23 pm »
Just looked at the site and watched some the videos. Didn't check out the prices but mentally added one to my shopping list.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:31 am »
A 'beginners kit', which includes one blade and everything you need to sharpen it, is £130. Thereafter, new blades are about £40 but that should only really be if you want a different type of blade or you've had a total disaster, since most dinks can be filed out.

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:23:11 am »
thanks for replys, have been on paul kingsnorths site and watched vid he makes it look easy!!! i am going go for an austrian scythe, ive been trying to access pauls scythe shop page but keeps telling me theres an error so i cant see what he sells. Can anyone else access his shop page? :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:34:41 am »
I'd just email him - although he does say he only picks up emails three days a week (sensible chap)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS